Top spud tip

• 8 Replies

Pompey Spud

Top spud tip
« on: April 01, 2008, 16:22 »
Hi All

Went to a 'Talk' recently in Gosport held by our local group where a pro gardener + wife from W.Sussex gave advice on their experiences. His name I think was Peter something.

As a newbie, the tip that caught my attention was regards to planting spuds.

Rather than dig a trench to sow use a bulb planter. Add some chicken poo to each sowed spud & than cover the whole bed with straw. This saves earthing up which he never does, warms the soil & helps to keep most weeds at bay before the foilage touches.

Too wet this weekend to sow but will hopefully do so this coming Sunday after we've giving the Baggies a pasting. PUP!!
 :wink:
Top tip for camping....don't go.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Top spud tip
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 16:24 »
Straw would not have lasted two seconds in the wind we've had today!!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

Top spud tip
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 16:27 »
But when straw is wetted, it matts well and I've never found it blows away, even in super high winds.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Top spud tip
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 16:32 »
On the "Allotment"  series DVD the guy recommends using the bulb planter for almost everything ... I tried it last year for some brassica ... worked a treat as it meant the rest of the soil around them was undug  :D Haven't tried it for spuds though.

Pompey Spud

Top spud tip
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 16:34 »
He did say to make sure the straw is well matted so it won't blow away like mentioned above.

susie

Top spud tip
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 17:46 »
Planted last of our spuds today using a bulb planter, (it was much easier than a trench)  put a few growmore pellets in the hole, and put horse manure over the top. Hopefully this will be heavier than just straw.

mabel

• Experienced Member
Top spud tip
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 17:49 »
Just planted the last of my spuds today, used a spade to dig a trench when I had a perfectly good bulb planter lurking in my shed.  Just goes to show I should  check this forum before i do anything :roll:

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
Top spud tip
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 18:53 »
I use the bulb planter for spuds and planting out small plants like my brassicas. It works wonderfully when the the soil is moist but I bent mine last year during a dry spell!

gobs

Top spud tip
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 20:46 »
Quote from: "Noah'strolly"
I use the bulb planter for spuds and planting out small plants like my brassicas. It works wonderfully when the the soil is moist but I bent mine last year during a dry spell!

Have you got clay, 'cos I broke 3 forks in mine. :lol: One cynic a bit wonders, who is sponsoring them though there is always supposed to be something shockingly new.  :wink:

I like to try new things, but at the moment I'm happy not to buy straw and a bulb planter as well as manure and seed potatoes, once it works without. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Oh spud!

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 19:52
by SG6
xx
spud me like................

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 22:46
by mrpotatohead
xx
Spud-U-Like

Started by Jabba2006 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2007, 10:51
by wellingtons
xx
To spud or not to spud.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 16:52
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 36 queries.