tomatoes : which are your favourites?

• 22 Replies

helluvatractor

« on: March 30, 2008, 18:16 »
got loads of different varieties of tomatos on the go, (about 10 i think), but the sad fact is i've only got space for about six to grow on to full size.  i know its silly to plant so many with such little space but i can't resist buying them packets.  some of them are : moneymaker, shirley, red pear, sungold, golden sunrise, gardeners delight, black krim.

i'll probably try to grow six different ones, but i just wondered what varieties you, (more experienced) guys tend to stick to? if, that is you do stick to one type.

be really interested to know :D

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 18:18 »
Hi this is my first year of growing and i am doing moneymaker, black cherry and yellow banana legs just because they are different and im also looking at buyimg some others too i cant help it either i like variety.

Nicky

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 18:21 »
I grow loads of different ones but last year when blight struck it was only the bog standard ones which survived. All me posh ones keeled over.
I like Tigerella, Ildi (lovely little orange, pear drop type) and I like the big beefy Mortgage Lifter

SkipRat

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 19:11 »
I,m growing "Shirley" this year. Last year I grew moneymaker. :)
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Ruby Red

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 19:34 »
Ive decided to grow some "Heritage" seed. They are different sizes and colours. Their names are, Christmas Grapes, Lemon Tree, Vintage Wine and Banana Cream.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

CZ Silhouette

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 19:48 »
I grow a heirloom variety called blooming Butcher & am trying for the first time this year one called Paul Robeson
MY BACKS ACHING!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

Dabhand

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 20:10 »
I grow Sungold, Gardeners Delight, Black Cherry and Money maker. I don't usually have any problems with them.  I also grow Basil and Marigolds along side them and have never had any whitefly etc.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 20:13 »
I grow outdoor toms and last year was the first ever case of blight I'd had. Got the spuds too  :(

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 21:53 »
Other than sweet 100, I stick with the heirloom varieties as the flavours can't be beat. This year I've got some repeats, some new ones: mortgage lifter, paul robeson, persimmon, german gold, carolina gold, german red strawberry, red strawberry grape, white queen, sweet 100, amish paste and jaune flamme. I have more varieties I'd like to grow but space is limited. Nothing better than bringing in a few toms hot off the sunny vines and have them for lunch, and supper.

Bombers

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 22:01 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I grow loads of different ones but last year when blight struck it was only the bog standard ones which survived. All me posh ones keeled over.
I like Tigerella, Ildi (lovely little orange, pear drop type) and I like the big beefy Mortgage Lifter

Bl**dy blight.. I only tried Gardener's delight. but they failed. I don't have a greenhouse so what do you grow outside? :?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 22:08 »
Over here we get warmer, drier summers with almost no blight problems, so all our toms grow outside.
I liked to try different ones each year because a few aren't quite what I hoped for, but the German Golds, Mortgage Lifter and Paul Robesons are definite keepers.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 23:42 »
I've grown toms outdoors for years and they don't get bothered by pests so prefer it to greenhouse ones

There are loads of outdoor toms.  If you have a look through the seed catalogues they say which ones will be ok outdoors.  I find Tigerella an easy one as is Gardeners Delight, Mortgage Lifter, Ildi   There are loads of them

Bombers

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 09:26 »
Thanks compostqueen. Off to sort out either Tigerella or Mortgage Lifter and give these a try  :D
Ohh. and I hear the weather is improving later in the week... Let's hope ehh"!! :wink:

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 09:29 »
I grow tomato for flavour, I like Gardners Delight, but this past two years the flavours have been terrible I wouldn't eat my own home grown. I am blaming lack of sunshine, but I do find the cherry types to have more flavour.

I'm just about to sow some seed anyone got a cheery type that will not fail to produce fantastic flavour? I'll buy some seed from you if you can spare them, thanks.

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

mabel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 10:15 »
My first year of growing here.  At the moment I have got some beef ones from the Garden Centre and some I grew from seed that the man in the Farm equipment shop gave me (no idea what they are but if they do well I'll save the seed), Sungella, Sweet Million, Black Cherry, Reisentraube, Moneymaker, Oxheart.  I am desperately trying to find somewhere to grow them as I seem to have run out of ground that has been dug.  Oh Well, have to take another patch off the grass/weed/clover :roll:

Spud, i have a few Black  cherry seeds left if you would like them.  I dont know how you PM me but if you send me your address I can send them to you.  It will probably take about a week from here.  Let me know. :D

xx
Tomatoes - your favourites?

Started by franmeerkat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 00:53
by pushrod
xx
what to do with tomatoes??

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2020, 17:13
by JayG
xx
Yes he has no tomatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:42
by yorky
xx
Tomatoes

Started by JamesD on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 20:53
by DD.

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 36 queries.