Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chorizo
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 21:07 »
Try this one Bodger

Brawn

Ingredients-

To a pig's head weighing 6 lbs. allow 1 1/2 lb. lean beef, 2 tablespoonfuls of salt, 2 teaspoonfuls of pepper, a little cayenne, 6 pounded cloves.

Mode-

Cut off the cheeks and salt them, unless the head be small, when all may be used. After carefully cleaning the head, put it on in sufficient cold water to cover it, with the beef, and skim it just before it boils. A head weighing 6 lbs. will require boiling from 2 to 3 hours. When sufficiently boiled to come off the bones easily, put it into a hot pan, remove the bones, and chop the meat with a sharp knife before the fire, together with the beef. It is necessary to do this as quickly as possible to prevent the fat settling in it. Sprinkle in the seasoning, which should have been previously mixed. Stir it well and put it quickly into a brawn-tin if you have one; if not, a cake-tin or mould will answer the purpose, if the meat is well pressed with weights, which must not be removed for several hours. When quite cold, dip the tin into boiling water for a minute or two, and the preparation will turn out and be fit for use. Time-from 2 to 2 hours. Average cost, for a pig's head, 4 1/2 d. per lb. Seasonable from September to March.

Note-The liquor in which the head was boiled will make good pea soup, and the fat, if skimmed off and boiled in water, and afterwards poured into cold water, answers the purpose of lard.

From Mrs. Beeton's Every Day Cookery and Housekeeping Book (facsimile of the 1865 edition)

Bodger

Chorizo
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 21:11 »
Cheers Sally, I'll post you some of the finished article. You're a goodun. :lol:

shaun

Chorizo
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 21:28 »
was watching james martin(a proper tv chef) the other night and he made a brawn terrine and it looked very nice
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Bodger

Chorizo
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 22:34 »
After the brawn, I've got the pigs liver and some rabbits for some type of pate. I'm going beserk in the kichen :lol: .

weeeed

Chorizo
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 16:29 »
Goodness but that looks so appetizing. I love chorizo and you can eaT AS IS BUT THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS OF USUNG IT IN COOKING. eVEN IN OMELETS sorry about the caps my skills are not great! Do you do Bath chaps as well as brawn? My Father loves them. Jan
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

Wildeone

Chorizo
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 18:35 »
That chorizo looks mouthwatering! My party piece of cooking is a tapas night for friends and i could easily get through that lot in 6 months!  :!:

Shame we're not all closer together we could have a forum get together and tapas night  :idea:  Mind you with the amount of eggs people would bring we'd be sick to the back teeth of spanish omlette! :lol:  8)
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

weeeed

Chorizo
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 16:19 »
Could you imagine the police with all that home made booze! Would be good though. :lol:

Bodger

Chorizo
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 19:46 »
Two weeks on and I couldn't resist having a taster.

The sausage was really nice, if a bit fiery but in another couple of weeks or so, I reckon that they'll be out of this world :thumbup:

Wildeone

Chorizo
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 08:15 »
My mouths watering! Fry with garlic and when it's sizzling throw some red wine in - simmer for a few minutes and eat with crusty bread!!! !!! !!! !!! !!!

Scribbler

Chorizo
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 22:09 »
Looks fantastic!!

I know I've been on about it before, but recommend a book called 'Preserved' by Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton, with a foreword by Hugh F-W.

Includes chapters on how to make your own hot and cold smoke boxes. Great cassoulet recipe in there too.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Bodger

Chorizo
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 09:29 »
Scribblers book 'Preserved' by Nick Sandler and Johny Acton, I've found it on ABE books. There are 12 books available but only one in the UK.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=Nick+sandler&sortby=3&sts=t&tn=preserved&x=71&y=17

compostqueen

Chorizo
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 09:41 »
I love cassoulet. Yum.  My mate made chorizo soup the other day, not something I'd heard of, so a versatile ingredient  :D

They look great

chrissie B

Chorizo
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 09:55 »
they look so professional , well done , what others have you done  :?:
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
Weekend recipe - Chorizo stew.....

Started by Alex 98 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 11:12
by Alex 98

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 29 queries.