• 4 Replies

peachesandclive

Chicken Drinker
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:04 »
Is a water bottle that you'd use in a hamster cage suitable for my hens? :?:

Foxy

Chicken Drinker
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44 »
I dont think it would be easy for your hens to drink out of as well as not providing enough water per day. Hens do need access to plenty of water they can drink a pint per hen per day  and more in really hot weather.This is the sort of thing you would need:

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=6103

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken Drinker
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:12 »
They use drip drinkers for cage and barn birds so I suppose they can learn how touse them.  The would need to be much larger than for a hamster though.

jammy

Chicken Drinker
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 18:47 »
I use one of those water bottles - the biggest size you can get but then i only have two chickens.  I have to refill it every other day normally but when its really hot every day.  
I did use a standard plastic poultry drinker initially but found it got messy quickly.  This is much more convenient and they have no problems using it.  In fact, the place i got them from has lots of chickens for sale in large pens and they all have water bottles on too.

hazelize_uk

Chicken Drinker
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 20:44 »
Ours have a choice and as a newbie i was surprised just how much water they do get through a day we have a water feeder which tends to get a bit messy, a very large water bottle (that was the rabbits and the girls stole it!) and also as our run had to be ready in quite a hurry we improvised initially with the plastic pots that Christmas puddings come in!  My OH drilled a small hole in the back at the top and we fixed them to the side of the run with electrical ties. Also 2 litre squash bottles on there side with a channel cut out again attached with electrical ties.  they work very well as they are off the ground and dont get in a mess are easy to clean and top up and are free!

xx
Chicken Drinker in coop?

Started by chickennovice3491 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 20:56
by ehs284
xx
Drinker Q

Started by JaK on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 18:01
by JaK
xx
What type of drinker?

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 20:12
by camelliagirl
xx
Drinker problem

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 07:08
by HENrietta

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 37 queries.