Feather eating

• 3 Replies

westie

• Experienced Member
Feather eating
« on: March 26, 2008, 19:03 »
Our welsummer has been hen pecked for a long time now, we've got used to seeing her with a bare bottom, but now the leghorn is eating the feathers on her back, at the base of her tail. I saw her reach up and have a nibble...for once she wasn't being agressive towards Sunset (welsummer), just fancied a snack I think! She's obviously been doing this for a few days as Sunset's feathers are looking decidedly ragged.
Any suggestions as to why and what I can do about it? I have noticed that Minty (leghorn) will gobble up any feathers that fall on the ground...is she lacking in nutrients?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather eating
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 19:14 »
It's normal for them to eat fallen feathers.  But feather pecking is often caused by something.  How big is their run - are they cramped or are they doing it while they free range  :?:

westie

• Experienced Member
Feather eating
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 13:13 »
They have a covered run which is 4 x 12 foot and access all day to uncovered space a bit bigger than that. I let them out at about 7.30am and they put themselves to bed at dusk.
I think it happens most when they are inside their coop, on the perch, but we have seen Minty do it outside as well.
Poor Sunset is looking very bedraggled! She is eating ok and still producing eggs.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather eating
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 13:36 »
The run space should be enough for your 4 hens.  You could darken their coop  with some dark fabric  or try some anti peck remidies like purple spray.  or anti peck spray, anti peck rings can break the habit too.

question
Feather eating

Started by henrietta5 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 14:55
by henrietta5
xx
feather eating

Started by Alby on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 19:28
by funky chicken
xx
Feather eating

Started by mintymoos on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 18:45
by grumpydad
xx
feather eating

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 13:32
by Miller

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 27 queries.