My first tomatoes

• 11 Replies

mabel

• Experienced Member
My first tomatoes
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:14 »
Got my first tomatoes this week (after a lot of mollycoddling during January and February during which the temperatures went down to -5 one night. :D

Just have to keep them healthy now as i dont know the Greek for Epsom Salts or where to get it! :lol:

Clampit

My first tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:22 »
Blimey, they look good! :D
Epsom salts are otherwise known as Magnesium sulphate, I know you can buy it from homebrew shops :roll:  How economical that would be for you I don't know.

mabel

• Experienced Member
My first tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:27 »
I'll have to ask my visitors to bring some over, trouble is the first one is not  coming until May.  I'll try the "Google translator" and ask at the shop that seems to sell all gardening stuff.  We dont have homebrew shops here.  I did bring a load of homebrewing stuff over, I'll have a look for that, may have inadvertantly brought some. thanks Clampit. BTW, what do you use it for in home brewing?

mashauk

My first tomatoes
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:13 »
Which island are you on?  -5! Wow. I'm off to Skiathos in May.

Clampit

My first tomatoes
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:20 »
Quote from: "mabel"
I'll have to ask my visitors to bring some over, trouble is the first one is not  coming until May.  I'll try the "Google translator" and ask at the shop that seems to sell all gardening stuff.  We dont have homebrew shops here.  I did bring a load of homebrewing stuff over, I'll have a look for that, may have inadvertantly brought some. thanks Clampit. BTW, what do you use it for in home brewing?

Sorry, only just realised that you're in the Greek isles :oops:
I wondered why you wanted to know the greek word :oops:
How silly am I eh? :lol:
I treat all my brewing water with half a teaspoon of Epsom salts and 2 teaspoons of Gypsum. It helps me achieve the correct mash ph (5.2) and aids the fermentation process. I brew using whole grain and hops.

mabel

• Experienced Member
My first tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30 »
Hi mashuk, I'm on Zante.  It was only -5 for one night last month but apparently Athens was covered in snow.  You'llbe fine in May on Skiathos.  It is averaging 9 - 12c at night now so not too bad.  

Clampit, I looked in my winemaking stuff and found some mix with Mag sulphate in but unfortunately it also has nicotinamide and even I know not to put that stuff near tomatoes.  Anyway you inspired me to start brewing so I have got apple and raspberry just started. (had to use raspberry juice, hope it will be OK).  Will post in winemaking bit when going.  I have only ever brewed wine never beer.    :oops:

Clampit

My first tomatoes
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:47 »
Soap suppliers also sell Epsom salts. If you google 'Just a soap' you should find a company called (strangely) Just a soap. They sell 1kg of Epsom salts for £1.91. I don't know what they would charge to deliver to Greece mind. :?

I love brewing, I am currently supping a strawberry wine made from tinned strawberries. A very nice rose' about 10%abv, I made 5 gallons from 10 tins at 25p a tin from Tesco. I'll post the recipe on the brewing section if anyone is interested, in fact, i'll post it anyway. :D

mabel

• Experienced Member
My first tomatoes
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:49 »
sounds lovely Clampit.  I've got quite a lot of strawberry plants so maybe if I have a glut I can try that.

mashauk

My first tomatoes
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 22:40 »
Quote from: "mabel"
Hi mashuk, I'm on Zante.  It was only -5 for one night last month but apparently Athens was covered in snow.  You'llbe fine in May on Skiathos.  It is averaging 9 - 12c at night now so not too bad.  

Lucky you, I was there a few years ago.  I want to go live in Greece in a few years time, not sure where yet so visiting a few islands to check them out!  I heard about Crete getting snow a few years back which surprised me.  I know it's a silly question, but is it easy to grow most things in Greece?  I was in Santorini a couple of years ago but the only things they seemed to grow were tomatoes and grapes!

mabel

• Experienced Member
My first tomatoes
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 07:55 »
Hi Mashauk,

It is my first year here so not sure what will grow and what wont.  So I am trying all sorts.  Already through the winter I have had some purple sprouting brocolli, (froze loads as had too much to eat in one go), kohl rabi, cabbage, swiss chard, which is still growing, lettuce.  My peas are about a foot high and I only planted them last month.  I plan to put runners, corgettes, cucumbers etc out at the end of the week and outdoor tomatoes in 2 weeks time (ish)  It seems to be a very fertile island as we generally get loads of rain in the winter.  I think the problem with Santorini is that it is volcanic and probably does not get much rain.  Apparently there are vast underground lakes/springs here and so no problem with watering. that I think will be the main job in the summer (and weeding :roll:) If you get to Zante give me a shout, there is a spare bedroom :D

JimG

My first tomatoes
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 19:28 »
Ah...!! We want to live in Crete and some of the flights we've been on stop over on Santorini on the way.  Looked at a few small places and dreamt of them whilst looking at the bleedin' sleet of late.  

Judging by the produce available in the local shops and some of the gardens we saw, it looks like there's a lot that'll grow there!  Right, I'm off to sit in a dark place and try and not think of warmer, sunnier climes than ours!

Last year we were told that the snow, that usually stays on the tops of the mountains in Crete until June, had all melted by May.  There were a lot of worried people there about the lack of water.

mabel

• Experienced Member
My first tomatoes
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 19:44 »
Hi jimG,

Been to Crete and it is a lovely island.  A lot further south than Zante.  I think  Zante is fairly unique in that itis a very green island and does not have a big problem with water (from what I have been told)  something to do with the underground lakes/rivers etc.  I dont think Crete has the same.  My water is pumped from underground so I dont have to rely on piped water, just pay for the electric it costs for the pump (minimal) so hopefully come the summer I should be OK for watering the crops.  We do have quite cold winters and very wet but not like the UK.  It's all new to me but after living here for a year I should know what to expect next year and plan accordingly.

xx
Tomatoes again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 11:26
by compostqueen
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 17, 2007, 21:43
by corndolly
xx
TOMATOES

Started by Shandy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 10:46
by Gardeningguru
xx
Tomatoes

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 21:12
by blackbob

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 36 queries.