Organics is a con

• 23 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Organics is a con
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 19:11 »
Quote from: "WhippetMaster"
It's like everything in life, a little doesn't hurt but too much and things start to fall off..... :shock:

I bet the stuff we are growing is far healthier than Tesco's.

It more than likely is not, there was a program on not that long ago, they measured the amount of residue from pesticides in veg, hardly any, and i believe not that long ago it has been proven there is no more vitamins etc in organic than non. I am  as said pretty much organic but there is areas in the organic ethics which are very grey and seem to contradict, the con I believe is in the marketing of organic.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Organics is a con
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 19:21 »
But it still tastes better!!!!
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Organics is a con
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 19:23 »
Quote from: "WhippetMaster"
But it still tastes better!!!!

Thats because its fresh, still got the sugars and turned to starch  :wink: Which is the main reason I grow my own, its fresh.

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Organics is a con
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 19:32 »
I agree, the organic drive that we are experiencing is fuelled by marketing that is keen on promoting values that justify the higher cost.

If levels of toxins were that obvious and high then the companies that sell the produce would be quickly moved off the market.

Being a first year newbie I just like the idea of nuturing and growing my own veggies with the added satisfaction of knowing what went into it.

It's also strange that I find this hobby both intensely relaxing and stimulating at the same time. My kids also are fascinated and have their own beds which helps.

I will still go with "less chemicals are better."

Wombat

Organics is a con
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 19:55 »
Not really sure what organic means.  When my tomatoes were going brown last year, I bought some bordeaux mixture as recommended, but was surprised to find it was copper sulphate, a chemical that belonged it the chemistry lab at school, or so I thought.  If you can use that and still be 'organic' then where is the boundary between organic and other methods?  Is it something to do with the complexity of the chemicals used?  Copper sulphate, although poisonous, is a very simple compound compared with some weedkillers I would imagine.

JimG

Organics is a con
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 21:01 »
I think everyone who gardens and takes part in this forum does more than many for the sustainability of the land, keeps fit (and without looking at the four walls of a gym whilst doing so), is more sociable and eats a healthier diet using fresh ingredients!  What a wonderful crowd!

nobby

• Experienced Member
Organics is a con
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 21:35 »
jimG has hit the nail on the head
what we do is moor inportent than organic or not
it is the fact that we are out there in the fresh air with a spade in our hands producing a final product that each of us can be truly proud of
no mater how small or slug eaten it is still grown on our owne bit of grownd in our owne way

vegmandan

Organics is a con
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 23:23 »
I couldn't agree more.

Although I did start this thread (I wish I'd kept my gob shut now :lol: ) It's the fact that when you grow your own they're as fresh as possible,grown for taste rather than transportability and whether they are organic or not YOU know how they've been grown.

:D  :D  :D

Oscar Too

Organics is a con
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 12:29 »
You're only looking at one very narrow aspect of organic growing.

Organic growing, and animal husbandry, take the view that prevention is much better than cure.  So a good grower will concentrate on disease prevention through plant health, good waste management, proper rotations, hygiene practises, weed management, wildlife management and so on.  Derris, bordeaux mixture and other inputs should only be used as a last resort, not a some sort of "approved-therefore-harmless" prophylactic that can be sprayed around willy-nilly.

A good inspector will not only look at what is being grown, but also how the farm is being managed, and will mark a grower down for poor weed control etc.  If you were regularly spraying potatoes with bordeaux mixture when it wasn't necessary, your organic status could be suspended.

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 36 queries.