Prospective allotmenteer!

• 21 Replies

Geordie

« on: March 23, 2008, 23:45 »
Hello to everyone. New forum member here.

I've been watching this site for a while now and it appears to have every resource an allotment holder could want.

I am a keen gardener at home with a greenhouse but have mainly all lawn and a few borders. I grow nearly all my annual flowers from seed and always have tomatoes and cucumbers in my greenhouse.

I am on a number of waiting lists for an allotment in my local area (Gateshead Council) and am keeping my fingers crossed for a plot to become available shortly.

Have we any forum members from the NE of England? I'd be interested in knowing how long it took them to get a plot  :)

SkipRat

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 00:36 »
Hi Geordie,
                Hope you dont have too long a wait for your allotment. I took my allotment last year and luckily there wasnt a waiting list down in Hull. You will find plenty of advice on here.  :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:46 »
Hiya

Welcome to the forums
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

CHICKENGIRL

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:02 »
mornin' geordie and welcome!  i'm not far too from you - up here in snowy northumberland.  i didn't wait long for my plot 'cos it was so unloved! :cry: it had'nt been used for a couple of years but once we got in there & cleared it a bit (still a few tip runs to do though) it's looking much better & the soil is fantastic, just waiting for this blooming snow to disappear so we can get cracking again!!

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:14 »
hiya geordie,
                                   we are in blyth not that far from you.
we didnt wait long for a plot,we went to see commitee that run the allotments rather than go on the council list.oh went every weekend think they got that sick of him they gave us 1st vacant plot.unfortunatly the plot was 1 that the owner had burnt down for the 3rd time :oops:

this is our 2nd year and the whole plot is now ready for growing .good luck getting a plot

CHICKENGIRL

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:17 »
mornin` to you too flatcap,  have you got snow this morning?
ours is just disappearing as i type, hopefully no more today so i can get down to the lottie later. 8)

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:26 »
hi chickengirl,
                          bright sunshine here this morning,snows just about gone
flippen typical we spent fri and sat putting fences up that that got blown down in the strong winds,we were frozen stiff and looked like snowmen ,now there up the snows stopped  :evil:

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 13:56 »
Hi Geordie, we're just south of the Tees, so 'enjoy' similar weather to you. Our council only lets people know about once a year, after they've spent ages chasing people up who have defaulted on paying the rent in April.
But it was worth the wait, and we've nearly finished digging half so can get cracking this season as soon as this cold spell is over. Good luck!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

jack russell

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 16:05 »
hello and welcome i live in chester le street  waited about a year for my first one in Ouston,  but when i moved house i got my second one within two weeks of speaking to the right people down at the lotty site in chester,   the plot i am on is private.  I think it definitely pays you to walk around the sites and speak to the people there to see if there is another way in.  The person who deals with the allotments at our council is not even going around checking to see if the ground is being worked there are a lot of overgrown unused plots, when i told her she said "well there rent is paid up to date"  the rent is £20 per year is it similar in Gateshead.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 18:11 »
We were initially told that there was a waiting list too but we walked the dogs alomg the public footpath next to the plots everyday and spoke to the right people. Low and behold a plot appeared for us! Don't ask, don't get i suppose!

Shelle

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 21:07 »
Welcome Geordie!

Am originally from South Shields, but now living in Cramlington in Northumberland.

No allotment for me though, just my garden and lots of containers :D

Geordie

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 21:32 »
Many thanks to you all for the warm welcomes  :?

Looks like I should be getting acquainted with the folk on my local allotment sites - it may help to speed things up a little!

Anyway, back to work tomorrow. Fingers crossed a site comes up shortly (and the lotto numbers too)

:wink:

Clairylou

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:47 »
Hi Geordie
My plot is in Burnopfield and i got it within a week of asking that was two years ago we have a few empty plots in this area.  Best of luck with the waiting lists though its definitely worth chatting to the people that already have plots as they will know what is available.

:D
Clairylou

Danny-Duck

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 11:18 »
Hi Geordie,I'm from Blyth mate.Hope you get a garden soon  :wink:
Cheers Alan

Ygerna

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 13:30 »
Hi Welcome :D  I am currently waiting for an allotement to but regularly (every few hours :oops:  :oops:  :oops: ) come online and browse here :D

Lets hope we are both posting about our 'lotties' soon :)

xx
New Allotmenteer

Started by WeedDetester on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 31, 2006, 20:10
by Eristic
xx
Newbie Allotmenteer ...

Started by Ladyallot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 19:30
by gavinjconway
xx
Novice 'allotmenteer'

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 02, 2006, 07:50
by Jeanieblue
xx
new allotmenteer and spacing

Started by Patrick on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2006, 19:05
by muntjac

Page created in 1.929 seconds with 37 queries.