Recycled Goods in the henhouse?!

• 5 Replies

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« on: March 22, 2008, 14:40 »
Following my post in another thread where I said I use recycled 5 litre plastic bottles for water for the hens, I got to wondering what other interesting recycling ideas you all use in and around, the henhouse...
  :?:
Thought we could share our ideas and do a little towards keeping our planet a little longer!

Judi :wink:

Oliveview

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 14:58 »
Virtually the whole of our hen house is re-cycled!! The roof was the asbestos (kind stuff) sheeting from our back room roof (had it re-built with a proper roof) The poles for the fencing came from the next door neighbour who accepts with a smile any 2nd hand metal from anybody! The fencing comes again from the neighbour´s 2nd hand stock :D  The ´roof´ to the top of the nesting boxes are tiles that were left over from tiling the floor of the house and the bricks for the bottom of the hen house walls come from the wall that was knocked down when we had the back room re-built.  The only thing we bought was the cement and the plastic that acts as a wind break. The cement floor was cement that was left over every night when the builders had finished.  Just remembered, the  roosting perch was part of an old bed frame :D  It doesn´t look as bad as it all sounds, it isn´t the smartest looking hen house but it is ok!!
Pamela
ps the door frame is a bed frame too :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 15:33 »
Like I said earlier Judi,
It's the big stuff with me. The main framework for the henhouse is all leftovers and offcuts of timber. Some of the posts for the run were from an old arbor that we took down.
I've made a shelter in the run form old plywood which was, as far as we can tell, a box used to transport dead bodies !  :shock:
The zinc liner went to the tip.

But I might well try your plastic bottle tip once we actually get an empty one.  :)

Rob

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 16:15 »
We recycled pallets for one of the arcs, some of our runs have been  given by neighbours, use these if I have to segregate.
we will take anytjing if we can use it, we've even asked builders when they have skips if we can have a look in and help ourselves. The local tip is also a great place for getting bits and bobs for the animals. Its suprising what people throw out. :D  :D
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 19:54 »
My feeders are old baking tins that I replaced just before Christmas, my drinker is a plastic washing up bowl and my nesting boxes are pallets that I cut in half and nailed together. Not the most elegant of nesting boxes but the Ronnies and Amberlinks don't seem to care.

Am in the process of making new nesting boxes from pallets from directions I got off this forum. Will post a picture when I have them finished.

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 21:26 »
We had to take the neighbour to collect the old metal bed frames from the man that gives us our horse manure, Juan spotted a satellite dish there too and we had to load that onto the roof rack too-  you should have seen the state of us driving along the track home!!  Within a couple of days Juan had flattened out the dish and made it into a table top for his sisters plants to go on!!  The next day we had to go back to collect an old shopping trolly he had spotted, don´t know what his plans for that are yet :D  
Pamela

xx
Recycled plastic chicken homes

Started by walker on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 18:22
by snow white
xx
has anyone made a coop out of old recycled pallets if so have yo got a picture?

Started by clare99d on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 14:30
by Nails
question
henhouse floor

Started by ychook on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 14:14
by Casey76
xx
It's wet INSIDE my henhouse!

Started by Jos Hens on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 20:56
by Hen 1-0 Fox

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 37 queries.