Chicken drink

• 17 Replies

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Chicken drink
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 11:42 »
Well we bought some lovely glass and galvanised drinkers as the plastic ones didn't really work...blew away, didn't fill as the ground isn't level..etc etc! Anyway, despite these attractive...expensive drinkers..I am currently using 5 litre mineral water bottles with the sides cut out! These are fantastic and I have one in each run and one outside, also 2 in the peacocks aviary. The weight of the water keeps them stable, (next to the henhouse or run), and when they get grotty, I just chuck them! They don't look very elegant but I like them better than anything else! The hens never tip them over..even in the morning stampede described by others!

I can feel good too as I'm recycling!!

Judi   :wink:

poultrygeist

Chicken drink
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 11:47 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
Well we bought some lovely glass and galvanised drinkers as the plastic ones didn't really work...blew away, didn't fill as the ground isn't level..etc etc! Anyway, despite these attractive...expensive drinkers..I am currently using 5 litre mineral water bottles with the sides cut out! These are fantastic and I have one in each run and one outside, also 2 in the peacocks aviary. The weight of the water keeps them stable, (next to the henhouse or run), and when they get grotty, I just chuck them! They don't look very elegant but I like them better than anything else! The hens never tip them over..even in the morning stampede described by others!

I can feel good too as I'm recycling!!

Judi   :wink:

Do you mean they're laid on one side with the opposite side cutout so they can dip into it to drink ?
Sounds so simple yet so brilliant !

Not that we have many plastic bottles. A bottle of squash lasts a couple of months and we only use tap water (the lead tastes especially good!).

Rob

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Chicken drink
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 14:34 »
Yep, lay the bottle on its side, cut out a large section...after you've done a few you'll know exactly what works best and the hens don't seem to mind them, even if they aren't posh!

I wonder what other things we could recycle for our birds?! I'm going to start a new  thread where we can share our ideas!

Judi :wink:

xx
drink in coop

Started by pet on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 10:43
by pet
xx
food and drink

Started by frazzle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 12:51
by Sassy
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
ill chicken

Started by gem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 20:01
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 36 queries.