Freecycle Network

• 30 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Freecycle Network
« on: March 20, 2008, 22:08 »
Hi

This may have been mentioned before but has anyone tried the Freecycle Network.  Basically people give stuff away that they no longer need and then everyone else tries to take it for nothing, absolutely free.  Its great but you need to be quick when you want to get something, as lots of other people want it too.

Here is the link Freecycle Network and see if there is one roughly in your area.  Worth a look anway.
Teen

matron

Freecycle Network
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 22:12 »
QUICK - you need to be faster than lightening sometimes. I get the daily email and some items are offered and taken at the same time.  :?

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Freecycle Network
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 22:17 »
I thought eBay was bad  :lol:

mashauk

Freecycle Network
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 22:20 »
Freecycle's brilliant!  I've decluttered (part of) my house through it, and got loads of goodies too, and even met some great local people who have become friends (one even shared the lottie with me for a while!)

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Freecycle Network
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 13:37 »
My favourite Freecycle encounter to date has been a couple looking for teeny tiny clothes for their premature baby girl. I offered to knit some, and when they collected they brought the baby to introduce to me AND a big box of chocs !!!  (They weren't to know I'd prefer seeds!)  I know some people have negative experiences with Freecycle, but all in all I think it's great for the community.
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

poultrygeist

Freecycle Network
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 15:14 »
Someone's offered an 8 x 6 summerhouse with veranda this morning.
Obviously we said yes please and thank you, no doubt along with half the county, but it's a very generous offer.
It's good that people with nice things are not thinking profit first. They're willign to forego a fair bit of money to improve someone else's life.
I just hope it goes to someone without any money (like us!) so they have a little bit of luxury.
Even if we don't get it, I think they're lovely people and deserve to be applauded.

Rob

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Freecycle Network
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 18:14 »
We saw a lady advertising the fact her husband was in hospital and to email if anyone wanted to visit him! Obviously they were keen freecyclers who got to know lots of people!!

Wildeone

Freecycle Network
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 18:34 »
:cry: I've had my first real negative today - 8 people replies saying they wnated my snail babies so i said today between 3-5 and 6 people replied saying 'great we'll be there' and 1 (thats o n e ) turned up at 3pm on the dot and i waited in for 2hours for nothing ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

poultrygeist

Freecycle Network
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 18:44 »
Quote from: "Wildeone"
:cry: I've had my first real negative today - 8 people replies saying they wnated my snail babies so i said today between 3-5 and 6 people replied saying 'great we'll be there' and 1 (thats o n e ) turned up at 3pm on the dot and i waited in for 2hours for nothing ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Many, many times.
It is really annoying when people do that. I think because it's free they treat it as a casual arrangement.
Likewise there are people who say you can have something but then never get back to you with their address.
Ours supposedly have a no-show list. I think it's 3 strikes and out.
Rob

Cazzy

Freecycle Network
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 02:38 »
On the flip side of the no/late showers, there are ppl like me who show up the day before   :roll:  it was so embarracing.  

We arranged I would collect a greenhouse heater on Saturday, well with the holiday Easter Monday (thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it) all day Friday I thought it was Saturday and promptly arrived on the doorstep, there was no reply when I rang the buzzer so I called and left a msg saying I was outside, hung around for an hour and called back with an almost crabby tone to my voice saying I could only assume that something came up so I was just gonna head home.  I was just arriving home when I realised what an eejit i'd made of myself and had to call back and leave a third msg to explain/appologise.

However, the girl was in hysterics when she called the next morning and very kindly handed over the heater  :D
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Freecycle Network
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 09:46 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Likewise there are people who say you can have something but then never get back to you with their address.
Ours supposedly have a no-show list. I think it's 3 strikes and out.
Rob

That has just happened to me they replied saying I could have the shed as I wanted it for my chickens at the allotment and I have heard nothing since.  I emailed them again the day after asking if they had my email as I know computers do have a tendancy to fail when you need them most and still no reply. It makes me so mad we can't afford to buy yet another shed so looks like my girls will be staying at home a little while longer.  Just to cap it all my washing machine broke down the day before yesterday and it will cost more to repair it than its worth so I have my fingers crossed something turns up on freecycle.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

compostqueen

Freecycle Network
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 09:50 »
We're only a small group so you get to know people. I've given and received good stuff.  I Freecycled some of my dog's stuff, eg his little coat and dishes, food etc (sob) but the lady who received them sent me a photo of her little JR wearing his coat. Waaaaaaaaaaaaagh  :cry:   A guy with quite a few dogs had all the frozen meat packs and snacks. Everyone wins and it keeps stuff out of landfill, which is what it's about.  I don't think some folk realise that though and get the wrong idea unfortunately

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
Freecycle Network
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 10:15 »
In my area, 90% of the posts are wanted : xbox , etc

They really do try it on

Plus the local moderators take all the decent stuff before it is seen , and it is not uncommon to hear people complain their stuff is being sold on via ebay!

But there is no process to kick out the moderators
Steve

poultrygeist

Freecycle Network
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24 »
Quote from: "siztenboots"
In my area, 90% of the posts are wanted : xbox , etc

They really do try it on

Plus the local moderators take all the decent stuff before it is seen , and it is not uncommon to hear people complain their stuff is being sold on via ebay!

But there is no process to kick out the moderators

If you can find the central network admin and ask their advice they might not want the network brought into disrepute and might do something.
Could be worth a go. You might have to put yourself forward as a replacement though. They sometimes get the job because no-one else wants it.
We're members of 3 neighbouring groups and at least 2 of them have one day/week for wanteds, return wrongly formatted emails and the mods SEEM to be honest.
But we did win some books, couldn't pick due to road closures, arranged to pick up after easter and they never got back to us with their address.
Easy come, easy go, i suppose.
Still can't get rid of my bricks so I've got to dump them. That breaks my heart because someone will be asking for some next week.
Maybe I should build something. A folly. Replica of Versailles maybe.

Rob

Wildeone

Freecycle Network
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 13:35 »
Just got a swing for my daughter! I pick it up tomorrow! I'm thrilled!  :D

xx
What is going on with Freecycle?

Started by Salmo on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 16:07
by lisa80
xx
freecycle

Started by evie2 on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 20:19
by ex-cavator
xx
Freecycle

Started by Jeanieblue on Frugal Living

47 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 18:51
by wildeone
xx
Freecycle

Started by EzLou on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 10:06
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 36 queries.