Garlic problems

• 7 Replies

Little weed

Garlic problems
« on: March 20, 2008, 21:47 »
We have had differing advice on growing the onion family, there seems to be two camps on this, the first being to start them in trays in the greenhouse giving them a better chance against the pigeon. The second, plant them straight into the ground and hope for the best!
We decided to try both, but, the garlic in the greenhouse started to yellow and develop powdery fungus on the bulb. Any ideas what we should or shouldn't do.

gobs

Garlic problems
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 22:20 »
Not suspecting any disease, ( which might happen) it just probably too warm and rotting nicely, fank you. 8)

These are all tough, cold season crops, you gotta be very careful about keeping them in greenhouses, etc. Garlic is from Siberia or somewhere nearby, you gotta plant them out. In the autumn, that is.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

noshed

Garlic problems
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 22:46 »
It's so cold at the moment you might be OK planting it out now and hoping it really will snow this weekend.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Trillium

Garlic problems
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:05 »
Planting garlic directly outside is the best way, and do plant in the fall so the roots can develop over winter and be ready for fast growth in the spring. However, pigeons do love to pull out the sprouting bulbs thinking they're tasty bits so you might have to put fleece or netting over them until they start growing, which is when the pests move on to better pastures.
I'd never recommend to anyone to start garlic in pots/whatever indoors.

Earl Grey

Garlic problems
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 21:23 »
I planted some garlic in early spring last year direct into the ground, that had plenty of greenery but they never split into seperate cloves. I've heard now that there are different varieties for planting in the autumn and in the spring, and ideally they prefer a cold spell to help form the seperate cloves.

gobs

Garlic problems
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 21:29 »
Quote from: "King Edward"
I planted some garlic in early spring last year direct into the ground, that had plenty of greenery but they never split into seperate cloves. I've heard now that there are different varieties for planting in the autumn and in the spring, and ideally they prefer a cold spell to help form the seperate cloves.

You plant them in the autumn, your majesty, and then they will definitely split for you, whatever variety (that might well be bad info I suss).

Trillium

Garlic problems
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 02:32 »
The confusion might be in the fact that there are 2 types of garlic - hardneck and softneck, which differ in their daylight needs hence planting dates. But most UK garlic should be planted in the fall since you don't get the softneck daylight needs. Spring plantings will merely keep the single clove alive, but not expanding and producing full bulbs.

SkipRat

Garlic problems
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 15:44 »
I,ve heard that if you cannot plant them in autumn, then place them in the fridge for a week or so before you plant ouy in the spring.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

xx
garlic problems :-s

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 23:37
by compostqueen
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 36 queries.