Is egg size important when breeding?

• 3 Replies

Foxy

« on: March 20, 2008, 19:52 »
Can anyone help. I have separated my breeding hens and have noticed that 2 out of the 3 hens in with Bigfoot  of them lay smaller eggs than the other hen in there with him. Admittedly the 2 are probably around 3months younger and have started laying  only this year. Was just a bit surprised about the size difference and was wondering if that will effect ultimately the chick that hatches out compared to the hen laying larger eggs? The hens are all similar weight wise!

Bodger

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 19:58 »
Given the choice foxy, which isn't always the case, I'd always select medium sized eggs that were not mishaped in any way.

The experts will often tell you not too breed from pullets but I'm not an expert and I often do.
Common sense says that the bigger the egg, the bigger the chick and I've found this to be the case. As to whether or not the adult resulting from the bigger egg is better than its counterpart from the smaller egg, is another matter.
I avoid hatching from really small eggs.

Jellyhead

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 20:22 »
Hi Foxy, We had lots of chicks last year from Handsome who is my big Gold Legbar cock and lots of my little bantams. Most of the eggs were quite small but we had a good success rate with them :lol:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 20:24 »
Thank you so much for your help - I think on balance I will probably hold fire for a month or so until they are similar size to the older hens and do a first hatch from the older girls. The 2 younger hens are show potential which is why I am quite keen to see what hatches from a pairing with Bigfoot. But ultimately would like healthy chicks! As I using broodies I am going to have to wait for the ladies anyhow!
Do you know if Orpies are good broodies? Buffy is definately acting suspiciously! :wink:

Here is Bigfoot with his girls he is soooo chuffed :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
breeding

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 21:28
by jonny1982
xx
Breeding?

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 20:47
by death of rats
xx
Breeding

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 20:10
by joyfull

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.