What can I call my eggs ????

• 18 Replies

poultrygeist

« on: March 19, 2008, 11:25 »
We're finding that we have a bit of a surplus of eggs even after supplying parents, etc.

So......thought about once a week putting a sign up at the gate to sell a couple of dozen saved from down the week.  :)

What can we call our eggs ?

The chooks are in a fixed run which is nice and roomy but not free-ranging.

So is that technically free-range ?  Or are they just 'fresh eggs'.
Doesn't sound awe inspiring.  :?

Rob

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:27 »
I think you are probably right they are not quite free range. How about something like 'Home fresh eggs?' :?

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:34 »
Yes. Doesn't quite draw the crowds in these days of semi-enlightenment but then again, we'll only have a few to sell.

I'm afraid unless it says fre-range people will assume some sort of cage system or a 2ft sq run.

Maybe we need to think this through a bit more.

Rob

noshed

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:45 »
What about Munty's "friendly chickens"?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:46 »
What are you feeding them ?? Could you put organic??? they'll sell like hot cakes then  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:50 »
We couldn't get any organic feed unfortunately. They'd run out.

Could go with Munty's idea. Make it more family friendly wording.

Wouldn't want people coming to see them mind you. Too much of a building/demolition site for that. I'd need to clear up the mess and that won't do !  :)

What would they need to be defined as free-range ?
Is there an area/bird or is it more access to grass that defines it ?

Rob

Vember

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 11:54 »
Found this PG any use????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range

What about Happy Hens? or " From our pet hens"

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:14 »
Quote from: "Vember"
Found this PG any use????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range

What about Happy Hens? or " From our pet hens"

I think that link is more aimed at US but I like the pet hens idea.

I'm trying to find something on the DEFRA site but their Free range link doesn't work.
Some interesting PDF's available though. If I can use free-range wording I will but don't want to fall foul/fowl ( :roll: ) of the law.

Rob

Vember

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:23 »
Egg production systems
Cage
A cage system consists of tiers of cages. The cages have sloping mesh floors so that the eggs roll forward, out of the reach of the birds to await collection. For each cage there must be at least 10cm of feed trough/bird and at least two drinkers/cage or 10cm of drinking trough/bird. Droppings pass through the mesh floors onto boards, belts or into a pit to await removal. A minimum of 550cm squared per bird is required in standard cages, which were installed prior to 2003.

Since 2003 only installation of enriched cages are allowed, with a minimum of 750cm square per bird along with a nest, perching space at 15cm/bird and a scratching area. In each cage feeding troughs must be at least 12cm/bird and at least two nipple drinkers or two cups must be within easy reach of each hen (where nipple drinkers are provided).

Barn
The barn system has a series of perches and feeders at different levels. The maximum stocking density is 9 birds per square metre and there must be at least 250cm square of litter area/bird. Perches for the birds must be installed to allow 15 cm of perch per hen. There must be at least 10cm of feeder/bird and at least one drinker/10 birds. There must be one nest for every 7 birds or 1 square metre of nest space for every 120 birds. Water and feeding troughs are raised so that the food is not scattered

Free range
In free-range systems, the birds are housed as described in the barn system above. In addition birds must have continuous daytime access to open runs which are mainly covered with vegetation and with a maximum stocking density of 2,500 birds per hectare.
In all systems the birds must be inspected at least once a day. At the end of each laying period the respective houses are completely cleared and disinfected.

All EU requirements for the above systems can be found in Council Directive 1999/74/EC, Commission Regulation 2295/2003/EC, as amended by Commission Regulation 1515/2004/EC and Welfare of Farmed Animals (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2002:

Council Directive 1999/74/EC of 19 July 1999 laying down minimum standards for the protection of laying hens  (on Europa website)
Commission Regulation (EC) No 2295/2003 of 23 December 2003 introducing detailed rules for implementing Council Regulation (EEC) No 1907/90 on certain marketing standards for eggs  (on Europa website)
Commission Regulation (EC) No 1515/2004 of 26 August 2004 amending Regulation (EC) No 2295/2003 introducing detailed rules for implementing Council Regulation (EEC) No 1907/90 on certain marketing standards for eggs  (on Europa website )
The Welfare of Farmed Animals (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002/1646 (on OPSI website)

That What your after?  I got it from Here :http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodrin/poultry/faq/marketing.htm#freerang

Leapyear

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 12:30 »
Sign seen on gate post in next village .........

Fresh Eggs ......From Happy Chickens Only

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Out of the south cometh the whirlwind....out of the north the cold!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 13:41 »
I agree with the info vember posted - I think you can still technically call them free range as long as they have continuous access to outside run.
We would refer to our eggs as free range, even though they do not have continuous access to the whole garden, they have access to enough outdoor run space to lead a happy chicken life doing all the normal natural chickeny things they should - like eating all my plants and making a mud bath of the lawn!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 14:49 »
Own Grown Fresh Eggs from Happy Hens!!

Vember

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 14:54 »
That's a good one Grannie, why can't i think of ones like that? My mind just goes blank, or should I say is Always blank

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 15:01 »
I'm the same when I'm trying to think of things for me PG!  Min'd is a complete blank, but quite good at advising other people!!!! lol

But like the others are saying, yours are still 'sort of' free range!  My egg sign says free range, and I know I've got more room than you, but technically speaking they aren't free range as there is a fenced in run!

When they were talking the other month on TV about all these Spanish eggs coming over here that had salmonella, I change my sign to read BRITISH Free Range Eggs for Sale!!!!!   lol

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 15:02 »
Back again.

That info looks positive. Not sure about the vegetation bit but they get greens and can forage all they like in the bark chippings !!

Any idea how much lawn/grass each bird would need to have before it starts to turn to dirt ?

There must be a certain area that can be sustained as grass with continuous ranging. Bet it's bigger than our lawn anyway.
Just a thought.

Rob

xx
Call Duck Eggs & Hatching

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 18:48
by ANHBUC
xx
does anyone know about hatching call duck eggs........

Started by inchhighfly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 11:00
by Pinti
xx
Call Ducks

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 13:23
by skyblue
xx
Call Ducks

Started by mother hen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 10:44
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 37 queries.