birds..to feed or not to feed

• 11 Replies

tommy416

« on: March 17, 2008, 00:10 »
i have been getting conflicting advice on feeding birds on the allotment, some of the members on my site say feeding the birds keeps them from the veggies others say it encourages them on to the plot and they still eat the plants so what to do, some advice to clear this up would be helpful :?

SkipRat

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 00:11 »
I wouldnt/dont feed, I think it would encourage more birds to use your allotment as a cafe.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

tommy416

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 00:21 »
thanks skip i,ll l et the others feed the birds maybe they,ll eat their stuff an leave mine alone then  :D...bad or wot lol

gobs

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:16 »
It's mostly pigeons and blackbirds that eat veg and fruit crops, whether you feed or not they will be around. :wink:

Small little helpers of the gardener need your help, position bird feed hanging off small branches, etc - not on a table, so it is not available to the big bullies. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 07:51 »
I feed the bird's a There are loads of robbins thrush's songbirds the lot down our allotments i have about 5 or six feeders. Magpies are my biggest hate i get them on every possibility

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

Annie

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:06 »
I want the birds round my veg.scoffing insects,caterpillars and other bugs and grubs,I`ve even put a few extra stones around for the thrushes with the result that while the slugs are still there I never see any snails.Pidgeons are a different matter but they are attracted by my broccoli not feeders.

weeeed

feeding birds etc
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:37 »
Hi, I feed the fox (bad leg and good at looking woobegone!) he lays at the side of me whilst I'm on the plot and when I've gone uses the beds as a loo! How's that for gratitude!! :oops:  :lol:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Re: feeding birds etc
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 16:50 »
Quote from: "weeeed"
Hi, I feed the fox (bad leg and good at looking woobegone!) he lays at the side of me whilst I'm on the plot and when I've gone uses the beds as a loo! How's that for gratitude!! :oops:  :lol:

There good to have in the plot they eat all the nasty's can i sugest you get anti biotic's from your vet for the fox you need to becarefull as they do carry lot's of bad stuff for your dog's so just becareful

tommy416

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 00:47 »
right thats it i,ll feed them but i,ll reserve the right to eject any pidgeonsif they dont behave :D

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:39 »
On balence I reckon it's Ok to feed as it's mainly small birds that will come to feeders that are hung up and they will take allsorts of pests .

I feed at home and on the lottie no obvious damage
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

weeeed

Re: feeding birds etc
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 20:13 »
Quote from: "jimroden"
Quote from: "weeeed"

There good to have in the plot they eat all the nasty's can i sugest you get anti biotic's from your vet for the fox you need to becarefull as they 2
Thanks for the advice Jim, Used to have a fox call for my old setter! The vet actually came and took pics! Nowadays they seem to expect the unexpected from me :lol:  :lol:  However, I wonder how easy it would be to get antibiotics down the old man. I usually take dried cat food, then if there are too many people there he can get it after I am gone. Any suggestions appreciated. Jan :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 21:00 »
I feed the birds on my plot, lovely robins and greenfinches, thrush, starling. We get pheasants, partridges, sparrowhawk and more ruddy woodies than a little

One of the old guys told me not to feed the birds in case I attracted rats. The flipping plots are rat central and I noticed that he had a bird table on his plot  :roll:  :lol:

I found a pheasant egg in my pallet compost bin yesterday  :D

xx
Strawberries - to feed or not to feed

Started by toxorebel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 23:10
by gobs
question
when to feed again?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 18:26
by Brassica Blaz
xx
What to feed

Started by hotcrossbun on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 13:34
by MyAchingBack
xx
What to feed with........

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 20:55
by gobs

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 36 queries.