Too wet to rotovate - arrrghhhhh

• 14 Replies

snozzer

• Experienced Member
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:32 »
This weekend was the only decent chunk of free time I had, so thinks I, that 2nd plot I have just took on is going to get rotovated.  But no the weather has defeated me.

My local forecast shows Mon-Wed this week dry, but no way is the plot going to be dry enough to rotovate. Thats me stuffed for another 2 weeks  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Anyone else got derailed by the weather?
As guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo

matron

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:02 »
Oh yes.  :evil:
I have only managed to dig a very small bit and that was only yesterday. It has been either too cold, too frozen or too wet. At this rate I might just hibernate until next year. I think I brought more home on my wellies than I dug.  :(

shaun

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:03 »
we had rain most of yesterday  :roll:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

pepper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:07 »
Yesterday was cloudy but dry and I managed to plant my Pear cordon. Then the heavens opened and it rained for the rest of the day. Although the forecast says dry today, the soil is just going to be unworkable after all that rain. It is sooooo frustrating.
The forecast is for snow here!!!!! :shock:
monica

gus

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20 »
i have all easter off and planned to rotivate my plot then, just had a weather report says -4 to -6 for me so i don't think the al-ko can manage that. plan b then, the greenhouse and a bottle or two to cheer me up.
computer illiterate, a one finger typist but doggedly determined to keep up with this new technology and use it to help me on my allotment.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:22 »
Yep my plot has been too wet for most of the year to rotavate, just getting there and now this again  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:29 »
My plot is clay and is very sodden...goodness knows what it will be like after this weekends deluge :( I'm just itching for it to get the chance to dry out a little bit so I can dig n weed without building up wellingtons made of clay...got heaps of couch to dig out and potatoes n other goodies i wanna plant :) All very frustrating

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 09:36 »
I have manged to get the grass off and my veggie plot dug and sort of raked in between the rain.  Managed to get some Growmore onto it yesterday as per my veg gardening book...water in it said...didn't need to, the torrential rain of last night has done it for me.

Now just waiting for the right time to plant my spuds, peas and beetroot.  At this rate that will happen in about a months time.

The weather must have a thing against me and my gardening ambitions!

Clampit

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:59 »
It's a downer isn't it. I was hoping to put my onion sets in this weekend, not a chance. Having read through my book, it recommends that most seeds are best put in at the end of March and through April anyway, especially up North. That made me feel slightly better, I'm going to get a few seeds going in seed trays today though :roll:

Peterjohn

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 15:38 »
I have rotovated twice since January, just would like to give it one more to a fine tilth within the next couple of weeks or so, then I will be putting in the onion sets and some spuds so that will be the start of my season, have held back with the planting as I think the soil could do with abit more warmer tempurture.

Peter

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 16:49 »
Sounds like none of you are any further ahead than I am with snowcover still on the ground. Another 2 weeks and I might be able to start digging if I'm really determined.

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 16:56 »
In another two weeks my plot may have just started to hit the waterlogged-but-not-lying-on-the-surface stage ;) I have shallots, yellow n red onion sets n potatoes etc to plant :(

Gwiz

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 17:11 »
Yep, I was all geared up for a good old session at the lottie, followed by the dismantling of a local shed that I've been given, but it's been chucking it down all rotten day.
I don't "do" wet.  :wink:

R66VEY

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 18:12 »
well yesterday (saturday) it was loverly down here got in 50kg of early tates 150 lettices and 100 cabbage plants and managed to  get them all covered in fleece aswell !! but did hav to people workin for me yesterday tho so cheated a lil bit

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 18:30 »
was supposed to pour down sat/today so took a few hours off work on Friday to rotovate the plot (and pop to the tip)...

No rain (well very little) so have done odd jobs round the garden.. I hate weather forecasts!!!

xx
To Rotovate?

Started by Nige2Plots on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 16:07
by Paul Plots
xx
When to Rotovate

Started by NorthEast Old Newbie on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 22:54
by Growster...
xx
To rotovate or not to rotovate ?

Started by Clarky86 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 22, 2017, 18:39
by snowdrops
xx
SHOULD I ROTOVATE?

Started by goose on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 10:04
by goose

Page created in 0.837 seconds with 36 queries.