• 35 Replies

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 15:01 »
Quote from: "mikem"
Quote from: "babe"
Quote from: "jack russell"

if the gypsies have done it then it is not a problem it will only be an inch or so thick

hey!!  i resent that comment

I don't :!:  :twisted:

thats just rude and arrogant...

thankfully this site is 99% full nice people, who wouldnt make such a nasty assumption

would you like to have a pop at all those who are jewish next??

please keep the old saying in mind... 'if you cant say something nice.....'

mikem

• Experienced Member
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 16:43 »
Babe,

Go get a life and look around you while you are at it.   I accept that people will have different opinions in a democratic society but why do you make an assumption that 99% of those on this site wouldn't make an assumption?  Have you ever had your drive tarmacced by travellers/gypsies?   Presumably not.  It did make me laugh  :lol: to read about Basil Brush being under investigation by the hate crimes unit of Northamptonshire constabulary for a comment that he/she/it made about a gypsy character.  Better not repeat it here.

Re your comment:- "please keep the old saying in mind... 'if you cant say something nice.....'"

Where does your comment:-  "thats just rude and arrogant..."  come into your thinking?

Clampit

I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 17:04 »

if the gypsies have done it then it is not a problem it will only be an inch or so thick

Dear Babe, I'm sure the comment was made in a light hearted manner, I wouldn't take it to heart.
I made a light hearted comment (or so I thought) on a different forum about running next doors cat over (which, of course, I hadn't, didn't, wouldn't, i'm actually very fond of cats) Next thing I know I was being lynched by several forum members and recieving some very threatening messages. Not everyone has the same sense of humor and in my book variety is the spice of life.

mikem

• Experienced Member
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 17:42 »
Quote from: "Clampit"

Dear Babe, I'm sure the comment was made in a light hearted manner, I wouldn't take it to heart.
I made a light hearted comment (or so I thought) on a different forum about running next doors cat over (which, of course, I hadn't, didn't, wouldn't, i'm actually very fond of cats) Next thing I know I was being lynched by several forum members and recieving some very threatening messages. Not everyone has the same sense of humor and in my book variety is the spice of life.

Clampit, well done you put it far better than I did.  Babe, sorry that I upset you but I still wouldn't get my drive done again by a "traveller"  rather than a "true" gypsy.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 17:57 »
travellers/gypsies?  

the modern day 'Travellers' that you are clearly referring to, have absolutely no connection to any Romany gypsy past in this country.

'travellers' are people who live a chosen lifestyle, that is lived on the road, making their money to survive in any way they can and i personally don't have any problem with them. but appreciate that many people do

... now romanys are an actual race, and i must say a very very very nice one. happy jolly caring family people. (but they do get a bit narky when people confuse them with 'travellers' :wink: )

mikem

• Experienced Member
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 18:05 »
Enough said.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 18:10 »
Enough said.

but im guessing now that you got a cr*ppy driveway put in by 'travellers', which is why you got narky. did it have those ugly white chips in it too??? :wink:

mikem

• Experienced Member
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 18:26 »
Enough said.

but im guessing now that you got a cr*ppy driveway put in by 'travellers', which is why you got narky. did it have those ugly white chips in it too??? :wink:

Actually I didn't have a driveway put in by "travellers" and I wouldn't use them but it did make the point!   :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 18:45 »
but I still wouldn't get my drive done again by a "traveller"  .

just a big fat lie then??  :shock:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 19:19 »
Right - stop it now!

Play nice or Aunt Sally will come and put you all on the naughty step. Our poor visitor asked a question and wanted advice - not a row.

Seriously - stop it or I'll lock the topic and start deleting posts.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mikem

• Experienced Member
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 19:20 »
Yes, that is what I wrote in my previous note i.e.

"Actually I didn't have a driveway put in by "travellers" and I wouldn't use them but it did make the point!"

However I presume that you also now admit your lie of "99% of people who wouldn't make such a nasty assumption" when you now admit that "many people do" - many 1%?

Not responding anymore as people will no doubt be getting fed up with this petty quarrel!

mikem

• Experienced Member
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 19:21 »
Sorry John, just read your post.  No more from me.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 19:25 »
Aunty is dusting off the naughty step  :wink:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 19:38 »
OK - so let's think what he can do with his tarmac.

1) Use it to make a base for a greenhouse or shed
2) See how deep it is and if it is feasible to dig it up. Problem there is the soil is likely to be pretty rubbish underneath and still has to get rid of the rubble

Also building raised beds on top would be a problem as the drainage would be poor. If I went down the raised bed route I'd break holes into it with a pickaxe and build the raised beds to give at least 30cm and preferably 45cm (12" to 18") depth.

Not an easy one.

I wonder if we'll be digging up the motorways in 30 years and trying to turn the M25 into a veg plot.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I've struck Tarmac
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 19:52 »
Quote from: "Codework"
Thanks for all the advice it's really paid off.   Here's a quick update.

The council excavated the tarmac with a digger 1 day after I reported it to them and are now in the process of topping up the site with new top soil from another site.

Aparently they remove two flat bed transit truck loads of tarmac including some newspapers that were under it dating from 1959!

Thanks all!

Jim

I think the problem is sorted  :wink:

question
Raised beds on tarmac outside the house???

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 02:27
by Trillium
xx
Has blight struck yet?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 15, 2007, 13:54
by belto
xx
Mr Mole has struck again

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 21:50
by Oliveview
xx
Have i struck upon a cunning plan?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 23:46
by digalotty

Page created in 0.935 seconds with 36 queries.