Planting by the Moons Cycle?

• 20 Replies

Glen

• Experienced Member
« on: March 15, 2008, 21:23 »
I have been reading various allotment diaries owned by people who plant by the moons cycle. Does anyone know of any books on this subject or can anyone share a little information?

jack russell

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 22:05 »
if you do a search on here glen there has been much discussion on this topic in the past :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Glen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 22:09 »
Have done a couple of searches but have found nothing of substance. #i wondered if there were any books on this subject?

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 23:36 »
lunar planting is ancient and I can recall a telly prog about an old guy (who looked remarkably young) who was an estate gardener who practiced lunar planting, was out at midnight planting :D   The waxing and waning moon governs planting times and there is quite strong evidence I understand which underpins this

I think Amazon has the books on it and the lunar planting diary

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 00:39 »
Have done a couple of searches but have found nothing of substance.

There is a good reason for that. There is no substance. Ask yourself why would tuesday be better than monday except maybe for the weather. The moon even if it had any effect on plants, still manages to appear each and every night, and remains the same size regardless of how much sunshine lights it up.

It has been said that using the moon as a calander has been going on for thousands of years and I believe there is some truth in that but I have a powerful computer system to keep track of the seasons for me. That's all the moon system of planting is. It's a crude calendar that takes no account of prevailing weather conditions.

Excuse me while I go outside and check the seaweed.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 00:46 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
Have done a couple of searches but have found nothing of substance.

There is a good reason for that. There is no substance. Ask yourself why would tuesday be better than monday except maybe for the weather. The moon even if it had any effect on plants, still manages to appear each and every night, and remains the same size regardless of how much sunshine lights it up.

It has been said that using the moon as a calander has been going on for thousands of years and I believe there is some truth in that but I have a powerful computer system to keep track of the seasons for me. That's all the moon system of planting is. It's a crude calendar that takes no account of prevailing weather conditions.

Excuse me while I go outside and check the seaweed.

Yes and yes, all it is and we have much better calenders nowadays. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

shaun

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:43 »
is there a connection with the word lunar (moon cycle) and the word lunatic (madman) :?   :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

gobs

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 09:45 »
Yes. 8)

Cyclic outburst. :lol:

sophiejo

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 11:38 »
Maria thun has written books on biodynamics, which considers the moon and sun when planting. I started reading about it earlier this year. They make a calender every year that shows the optimum days for sowing and planting. Thought i would give it a go. It would be interesting if there was some benefit.
 I am perservering for the mo but am finding it very restrictive, what with two small kids and the rain! Also there are only about 3 days in march and april that you should plant roots! Everyones different though and it may work for you.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 11:59 »
Roots are said better to be sown, than planted/transplanted. And I sow a lot of carrots and beetroot sucessionally all along the season, successfully.

shaun

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 12:02 »
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1882&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

this post started off quite well then it just got plain silly  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 12:12 »
Oh, you have discussed this in great detail, then. :lol:  :lol:

And yes, Shaun they grow plants on the space station. :lol:

shaun

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 12:17 »
this has been discussed many times gobby and i'm still not buying it  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 12:40 »
Well, it must have some effect, as it's there, but I wouldn't go to great lengths about it.

Plants have hormones to grow with and against Earth's gravity(root and leaf/stalk) which is six times as strong as the Moon's, and I don't think anybody yet observed photosynthesis in moonlight.

Are these calendars changing at all with the changing position and movement of the Moon year on year, just out of interest. :wink:

Stripey_cat

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 13:15 »
Just because we can't explain something doesn't mean it can't exist.  That said, I'm fairly sceptical.  The only reason I'm not completely sceptical is that the one guy I know who really goes in for lunar planting is an old, experienced market gardener, with something like 70 years of gardening behind him, who isn't superstitious about other things.  His results are always excellent, although that could just be the years of experience rather than the moon!

xx
carrot fly life cycle

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 22:23
by Ian_A
xx
Life cycle of the cabbage white butterfly

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 19:03
by yummy
xx
Planting Out Tom's

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 15:26
by stompy
xx
Planting Now?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 09:28
by mad mark

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 37 queries.