When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?

  • 13 Replies
  • 4966 Views
*

plotty

  • New Member
  • *
  • 15
    • http://www.plotty.pagetab.com/
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« on: March 15, 2008, 07:45 »
Just been given a really sturdy and expensive gazebo to use on our plot. My idea is to turn it into a greenhouse.

I have around 200m of industrial strength 2.5m wide semi-clear polythene on a roll, and I want to cover the gazebo with this.

I'm stuck though on how to join the pices together. Taping it would come undone, making holes in it and knitting it together would probably rip.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

*

richyrich7

  • Paper Potter
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Sunny Leicester, The answers in the soil !
  • 10377
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:22 »
Clear waterproof repair tape is available from "duck" or wilko's, B&Q also make their own version, I've used it before and it's permanent no peeling etc.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

*

naturesparadise

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • 1405
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:31 »
what i would is get some cheap wood battens and fit them to the frame
and them tack the plastic to it

*

plotty

  • New Member
  • *
  • 15
    • http://www.plotty.pagetab.com/
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:32 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Clear waterproof repair tape is available from "duck" or wilko's, B&Q also make their own version, I've used it before and it's permanent no peeling etc.


Brilliant, thanks bud. Just been looking at the Wilko's site and found the said duct tape, which costs £2.99 for 20m, clear and 50mm wide. That will do me thinks. Again, thanks for that bud.

*

plotty

  • New Member
  • *
  • 15
    • http://www.plotty.pagetab.com/
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:34 »
Quote from: "naturesparadise"
what i would is get some cheap wood battens and fit them to the frame
and them tack the plastic to it

Yea, thanks bud, the frame of the Gazebo is actually hard wood anyway.

*

mabel

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Greek Islands
  • 143
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:38 »
you could lay it out on the ground with the edges to be joined overlapping.  Put a piece of paper underneath the joints and one on top (you will have to do this bit by bit) and then get a hot iron and iron the seams over the paper.  the heat will melt the plastic together, no tearing.  obviously you coujld not do this at the lotty but may be worth doing at home and taking it there.  Save you money on the tape.  I did this when making the door to my polytunnel as I wanted it to be double thickness, and it works.   :)

*

plotty

  • New Member
  • *
  • 15
    • http://www.plotty.pagetab.com/
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:42 »
Quote from: "mabel"
you could lay it out on the ground with the edges to be joined overlapping.  Put a piece of paper underneath the joints and one on top (you will have to do this bit by bit) and then get a hot iron and iron the seams over the paper.  the heat will melt the plastic together, no tearing.  obviously you coujld not do this at the lotty but may be worth doing at home and taking it there.  Save you money on the tape.  I did this when making the door to my polytunnel as I wanted it to be double thickness, and it works.   :)


Brilliant idea that one matey, and we will use it for the roof section. The gazebo we have inherited was damaged in the winds this week, but as far as I know the actual cloth top is still in one piece, so I can use that as a template for the polythene, then bring it home and get my ever so good wife to get her iron out. Brilliant suggestion mate, thanks a lot for that one.

*

mabel

  • Experienced Member
  • ***
  • Location: Greek Islands
  • 143
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 08:49 »
Make sure when you do it that the paper is wide enough cos if you even touch the plastic with the iron you will get a hole.  dont worry if you do though cos you can then put another piece of plastic over it and re-iron.  good luck with the project.

*

plotty

  • New Member
  • *
  • 15
    • http://www.plotty.pagetab.com/
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 13:46 »
Quote from: "mabel"
Make sure when you do it that the paper is wide enough cos if you even touch the plastic with the iron you will get a hole.  dont worry if you do though cos you can then put another piece of plastic over it and re-iron.  good luck with the project.


Thanks, I am putting 100% faith in the missus not to hole up^^

*

Aunt Sally

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Sunny Kent
  • 90224
  • Everyone's Aunty
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 14:07 »
I'd use netting and turn it into a fruit cage  :idea:
Important Advice from the NSALG - frequently updated 
  Covid 19 Emergency Measures

*

plotty

  • New Member
  • *
  • 15
    • http://www.plotty.pagetab.com/
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 15:57 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I'd use netting and turn it into a fruit cage  :idea:


Yea, nice idea, but we have fruit all over the plot anyway. (Still got half a freezer full of raspberries left from last season^^)

*

Aunt Sally

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Sunny Kent
  • 90224
  • Everyone's Aunty
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 15:59 »
Give it to me then.  I need a fruit cage  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

*

Stripey_cat

  • Senior Member
  • ****
  • Location: Oxfordshire
  • 595
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 19:38 »
Tell the missus to tie a damp rag over the plate of her iron, so she doesn't stick molten plastic onto it - she'd never get it clean if she did.

*

plotty

  • New Member
  • *
  • 15
    • http://www.plotty.pagetab.com/
When is a Gazebo not a Gazebo?
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 06:17 »
Quote from: "Stripey_cat"
Tell the missus to tie a damp rag over the plate of her iron, so she doesn't stick molten plastic onto it - she'd never get it clean if she did.


And then she would want a new iron too^^



 

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 35 queries.

Powered by SMFPacks Social Login Mod
Powered by SMFPacks SEO Pro Mod |