Vandalism on our plot.

• 27 Replies

Glen

• Experienced Member
Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 21:14 »
I am lucky that our small allotment site is situated between a small clump of houses, there are only 9 polts on the site and the access road is next to one plot owners house.

I have to say it upsets me to hear of site vandalism, i know how i would feel if, after all my hard work, if i found my plot/crops vandalised.

I think you did the right thing. I wouldn't of confronted a group of youths either!

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 19:38 »
I agree months of hard work destroyed in seconds at least rabbits and birds do it for a reason....
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

gardenplot

Re: Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 15:44 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"
On my journey home I pass our allotment site.
It was about 6pm and no one was there but as I went past on my bike I heard a sound like breaking glass.
 i slowed down looked at our site and saw two teenagers breaking glass on greenhouses as they walked along the main path that dissects our site.
I shouted to them to stop which they temporally did.

I didn't go on the plot nor did I try to apprehend the vandals basically I thought it better for me to carry on home and get home in one piece than tackle them and wait an hour or two for the Police to arrive and risk a verbal or physical assault as I was waiting.

I do now feel a coward and that I have let my fellow plotters down but what can we the decent majority do?

I knew that if I went onto the site and stopped the vandals then I would be risking my safety. I am not looking forward to going down to the site tomorrow and having to tell my friends and fellow plotters that I witnessed these vandals smashing their greenhouses up but did nothing to stop them. :(

I think you did the right thing and everyone on your allotment should be proud of what you did.

A month ago i was on a night out with some friends in the town when i left the pub to pop out for a ciggie and ended up helping a poor young lad from getting a real bad kicking, a man was really laying in to him, so I shouted stop and tried to pull him off the young lad, he was kicking him in the face & head, made me feel sick, the chap turned round and pushed me to the ground and kicked me in the face a few times before running off, with that i ended up with  broken nose & the left side of my face was so sore & swollen. I’m was in so much pain all because I helped a poor lad from been kicked to death, no one help just stood round watching.

The poor lad was out celebrating his 21st birthday and was well legless, and didn’t deserver that and neather did i.
I work in a hospital and hate to see anyone coming in with bad facial injuries, and the money they cost, just through been stupid and wanting to fight.  :x
I stopped smoking after that  :lol:

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 16:39 »
I agree with other posters that you did exactly the right thing. Research has shown over and over that the greatest deterrant to anti-social behaviour is the sense that one might get caught doing it.

A question on a similar vein: I recently acquired an allotment in Plumstead, SE London. It seems to me a fairly rough area, and the fence of the allotment is kicked down in one place, so anyone can really come in and out. Question is: my allotment has a little shed on it, but it's not lockable or secure in any way. Is it generally considered safe to leave some basic tools (just bought a nice new space and digging fork) in an unlocked shed? Or do you think I need to haul them home on the bus with me each time, which would really not fill me with joy...

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 17:00 »
Do not leave spades and other tools in sheds as they are commonly used by those of dubious nature to lever open locked doors on other buildings. Over the years I have been to many burglaries where the offender entered the garden shed,removed tools and used them to break into the house.

Secure your shed and don't leave anything of value (radio, tv, mobile phone) visible and you remove the motive of the offender.

I would fit a shed alarm made from a personal attack device rigged to the door with fishing wire. You can get them from your local crime prevention officer (council or police) and they work like a grenade (no they don't blow burglars to bits!!!!) you pull the pin out and they scream out at 130 Decibels frightening the living dung out of the naughty person.

I designed the kits for several residents in my area and they worked so well that they are now produced for other areas.

Gardenplot, the world is 90% good and honest but there are some horrible nasty people out there, mix them with a combination of drink and drugs and you will get what you witnessed. I work for the police and was on nights last night when a group of 10 local chavs beat the living daylights out of a 20 year old innocent bystander for no reason other than pure fun. They followed him into an alleyway near a local nightclub and all jumped him, putting him in hospital. Thankfully there was a good witness and three were arrested the youngest being 14.

There is little deterrent in todays society for criminals , no punishment for crime and little reward or encouragement in life for "doing the right thing."

Society is due a big correction and one day decency and values will be held high again. My grandfather recently told me "it will take a war to rebuild this country," I think he is right!!!!!!

:)

Trillium

Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 17:01 »
I'd bring up the matter of the faulty fence asap with those in charge. You're paying for the lotty, so don't put up with half measures and the ineptness of others.
You might get away with keeping your new things in the shed for a while, but one day, when you're feeling confident - they'll be gone and used to damage someone else's things. As inconvenient as it is, until the fence is repaired, I'd bring home new equipment. Leave only old stuff in the shed.

crackedflowerpots

Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 19:03 »
better to be a live coward than a dead hero ... glass can be replaced, you cant!!!
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 19:23 »
I concur with everyone that you did the right thing

I would have hated it if you had got hurt trying to protect my plot
You are NOT responsible for policing the area, so dont feel bad mate
 8)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

fatbelly

Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 19:26 »
I would like to thank all my 'forum friends' for the messages of support that you have posted.

Your support really has made me feel better and also realise that the action I took was correct.

Once again THANKS TO YOU ALL.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

crackedflowerpots

Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 19:28 »
i once pawned my wedding ring and engagement ring (times had been very hard) and during a daylight robbery, the pawnbroker got smashed across head with gun, they still got my stuff ( and many others too) but i replaced them soon after .. he gave up work ... YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!

vespaman

Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 19:29 »
you did well also you didnt go to your plot as this would have given them something to target next time.

wonder what they think when there 30-50 something have a plot and some neanderthal tans there green hoose windows,, if they live that long.

nobby

• Experienced Member
Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 19:42 »
FB you did exactly the right thing you are still in a fit state to fix enny damege just make sure you give the police a good decription they are bound to be locals and the beat oficer will soon be knocking on thear doors
will done

CHICKENGIRL

Vandalism on our plot.
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 19:44 »
you definately did the right thing, fatbelly, i work in an a&e department & all too often its the innocent guys who get hurt & the scum get away with it.  the police are there for a reason - so dont risk yourself, they are much better equipped to deal with these situations. well done you for doing what you did x :wink:

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
New Plot Help

Started by Jacquelyn1401 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 23:43
by juvenal
clip
Plot 32b!!

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 17:38
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.655 seconds with 36 queries.