Outsider being bullied

• 7 Replies

Wildeone

Outsider being bullied
« on: March 14, 2008, 18:53 »
Hello me AGAIN!  :roll:

Since i got my ex-batt ladies there has always been one that an outsider and i did post about it about 2-3 weeks ago and the advice was to give it time and that they would settle down but it hasn't .... if anything its getting worse.  

Henny Penny was the baldest of the four and started to moult at a heck of a pace as soon as we got her and she's now spiky all over and reselembles more of a hedgeohg than a chicken but with the promise of new feathers starting to unfold.

Henny has always stayed away from the others and when they free range the other 3 always stick together if henny gets too close they all jump her and pull her comb - the noise is hateful - and the last 2-3 days i've noticed they don't let her eat anything.  In the morning the others are 1st out and they don't let her leave the coop and in the evening they chase her out of the coop pecking at her until they fall asleep and she sneaks in and sleeps in a seperate area to them!

I'm really quite worried about her and think i might try to find her a new home - if it was just one of the others buillying her she'd go but its all 3 who have taken against her  :cry:  :(  :cry:  What do you think guys and gals?

Wildeone  :cry:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Outsider being bullied
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 21:23 »
wildy dont loose heart hun, if it doesnt get any better, or you really cant watch it anymore, we'll swap them for a different one.

dont let it get to you. we can sort it :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Outsider being bullied
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 21:44 »
Try making a pen for  her so the others can't get to her but can see her and be very close together.  

Make sure there are more that one feed and water station.  If you sprinkle grains on the floor both sides of the separating wire/net/whatever.  They will learn to feed together.

I hope that makes sense  :D

Wildeone

Outsider being bullied
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:16 »
I've already got a bowl of pellet near the coop door so she can stick her head out and snack and run but she gets a good pecking for even trying!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Outsider being bullied
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 10:18 »
Quote from: "Wildeone"
I've already got a bowl of pellet near the coop door so she can stick her head out and snack and run but she gets a good pecking for even trying!!!

I'd make a small safe run for her Wildeone.  Put her feed and water inside the coop until you do.  :D

Jellyhead

Outsider being bullied
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 16:23 »
Try putting patches of tea tree cream on her where she gets pecked most. It has worked a treat stopping any of mine from being pecked. Good luck Wildy I hope it sorts itself out :(
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Outsider being bullied
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 19:58 »
Hi Wildy, agree with everything here especially extra bowls of food well apart if possible.  Like the idea of tea tree on where she gets pecked, might give the others a nasty taste and make them think twice.

Good luck, will be keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Claire

Wildeone

Outsider being bullied
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:31 »
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll keep you posted.

xx
Hen being bullied..HELP.

Started by georget on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 12:58
by Sassy
xx
being bullied

Started by prettychick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2011, 16:23
by prettychick
xx
One hen being bullied

Started by AbbyB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2024, 20:09
by jaydig
xx
so im being bullied already

Started by greenmiranda on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 20:28
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 36 queries.