EU VEG REGS

• 4 Replies

Scribbler

EU VEG REGS
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:33 »
Just heard on the radio that it's illegal to sell certain varieties of veg seed under EU legislation. These seeds can be swapped apparently, but what a stupid situation. The EU and Defra seems hell bent on stamping out heritage varieties - in fact anything that doesn't conform to totally arbitary criteria.

Makes me want to grow rare veg as a matter of principle. Any ideas of possible sources of hertiage seeds for next year would be welcome!
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

gobs

EU VEG REGS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:44 »
Yes, that has been the case for years now, it has to be registered as a variety.

If you join garden organic (which costs you) you get a lot of benefits as well as heritage seeds, also can become a seed guardian of a variety or more. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

EU VEG REGS
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 16:34 »
I recall an episode of Pie In The Sky, where Henderson was under 'investigation' for growing an unregistered variety of tom which he sold as produce to Crabbe for use in the restaurant. This is going back a few years and was a problem even then. Anything for gov'ts to get money from.

puravida

• Experienced Member
EU VEG REGS
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 17:48 »
Quote from: "gobs"

If you join garden organic (which costs you) you get a lot of benefits as well as heritage seeds, also can become a seed guardian of a variety or more. 8)

Not come across that before but just checked out the site after your post.
I'm really impressed! Thanks for sharing!
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

gobs

EU VEG REGS
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 18:21 »
You are welcome. I like it and it's not that expensive either, I think.

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 36 queries.