Heated Propagators

• 6 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
Heated Propagators
« on: March 11, 2008, 19:29 »
what needs germinating in them and what can I germinate in our house ?

I'm thinking atm that the following will need "the treatment"

Chilli seeds
Sweetcorn
Sweet peas
Melon if I decide to go for it.

Can you recommend a good one as well please, not too pricey as buying kit for our lottie has bankrupted us  :lol:
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Heated Propagators
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 20:05 »
If your starting them in the house you could get away without heat just get a normal one , cheaper still are those plastic tent things that fit over a standard seed tray will do the job, I have a heated one but it doesn't have a thermostat on it so it's prone to overheat if I'm not careful  :shock:

So I'd save me cash for now and buy one with a thermostat when funds allow or at the end of the growing season when you can pick them up a bit cheaper at the major DIY chains etc as they sell them off to make way for Christmas stock.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

alibean

• Experienced Member
Heated Propagators
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 20:43 »
To save money just sow your seeds a little later.   As long as seeds have a few days of constant temperature and a bit of moisture they'll get going on their own (or in an unheated greenhouse in my experience).

A heated Propagator is worth it if you want to get some early tomatoes / obos / chillis on the go, but if you wait before sowing then most things seem to catch up  

Good luck!!

gobs

Heated Propagators
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 20:49 »
Yes, I do agree. Not all things sold need buying. I've never in my life owned a heated propagator. And I have been growing all these crops and more for years.

I have the benefit of a lot of wide and sunny window sills though. But anything can make do, a couple of large chest of drawers' tops next to the patio door, a make shift shelf next to a good window in a suitable room/shed/garage. It heats up amazingly through a window when the sun is out. :!:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Heated Propagators
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 21:05 »
Yes I agree with both of the above posts one thing tho I have found them very good for is taking cuttings that bit of bottom heat combined with the humidity is far better IMHO than anything else.

compostqueen

Heated Propagators
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 23:31 »
I don't have a single windowsill in my house but my next house will have  :wink:  So I have a heated prop, well three actually and I use them all. I bought them donkeys years ago. Good for bottom heat too without the lid which makes them even more versatile.  

I've had years of use from mine and hopefully many more to come. These are the bog standard electric ones with plastic lids (Sankey)

dugless

Re: Heated Propagators
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 21:07 »
Quote from: "fibilou"
what needs germinating in them and what can I germinate in our house ?

I'm thinking atm that the following will need "the treatment"

Chilli seeds
Sweetcorn
Sweet peas
Melon if I decide to go for it.

Can you recommend a good one as well please, not too pricey as buying kit for our lottie has bankrupted us  :lol:

Pitty you do not live nearer to me I have several small wattage industrail  heater tapes and an grundfoss thermostat that would make a good heat source for a propergator I was going to sell them on Ebay but if anyone out there wants them get in touch
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

xx
heated propagators or non heated propagators

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 15:07
by Shop Keep
xx
Heated propagators

Started by Top Cat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 21:25
by Diggerpete
xx
heated propagators question ?

Started by ROYAL=BD= on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 21:03
by Paul Plots
xx
From propagators to heated mats

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 22:35
by digalotty

Page created in 0.986 seconds with 36 queries.