What can I grow in shade.

• 4 Replies

kelvinr2d2

« on: March 11, 2008, 10:11 »
We now have an allotment (after being on the waiting list for 3 years) which has a huge conifer growing in the surrounding bank at one end. A third of the plot is shaded by this beast (which cannot be removed) and as we are new to growing veg outside of our Metre square garden, we are not too sure what to grow here.  I guess also that the fallen pines have an implication to the soil type and therefore what can do well there too.  Large fallen branches and cones aside, We would like to get something to appear on this ground!
We are currently clearing and digging over the plot - starting from the good end.

gobs

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:21 »
Lift the crown a bit by cutting off lower lying branches. Soft fruit will do well in the dappled shade of a tree, also will like the soil.

Comfrey, nettle, parsley, spinach, lettuce (and some other salads), broccoli should do OK.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

kelvinr2d2

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:36 »
Thanks gobs,
The lowest branches are about 10 feet from the ground, so we get a bit of light. We are not allowed to do anything to the tree.  Soft fruit will be the way forward.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Re: What can I grow in shade.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 11:14 »
Quote from: "kelvinr2d2"
We now have an allotment (after being on the waiting list for 3 years) which has a huge conifer growing in the surrounding bank at one end. A third of the plot is shaded by this beast (which cannot be removed) and as we are new to growing veg outside of our Metre square garden, we are not too sure what to grow here.  I guess also that the fallen pines have an implication to the soil type and therefore what can do well there too.  Large fallen branches and cones aside, We would like to get something to appear on this ground!
We are currently clearing and digging over the plot - starting from the good end.

Pine trees make the soil acidic possibly blueberries could be an idea.

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 15:36 »
cullieflowers prefer the shade it stops them from bolting

xx
Veg to grow in shade

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 20:21
by shaun
xx
WHICH VEG CAN I GROW IN PARTIAL SHADE

Started by davidevans on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 00:21
by Auntiemogs
xx
Can I grow gooseberries in heavy shade and in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:45
by compostqueen
xx
To shade or not to shade.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2021, 13:29
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 36 queries.