GYO bread ?

• 17 Replies

poultrygeist

GYO bread ?
« on: March 10, 2008, 14:53 »

Trillium

GYO bread ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 15:32 »
I once considered it, but didn't really have the needed land area. Rotation is an absolute must with wheat, which is usually rotated with soybeans and corn. Considering those of us who veg garden on our properties have still less ground for growing wheat, it's harder still. You really do need a small holding or a farm for it to work. If you did, it's not that hard really, though it would take a lot of time as the article says.

ck2day

• Experienced Member
GYO bread ?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 16:24 »
Haven't got the space to grow my own wheat, but I do make my own bread. It tastes totally different to shop bought and it's much more fun to make it than buy it from Tesco's.  

Kneading bread is a good way to work off pent up agression as well. I have been known to pretend it's someone whom I dislike  :twisted:  :twisted:  :D  :D

poultrygeist

GYO bread ?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 16:32 »
We've had a good go at making it in the past. We had a breadmaker at one time but Julie didn't get on with it.
We've just replaced our cooker which was temperamental so might be a good time to try again.

I quite fancy the sight of a few square metres of corn. We've got a large front garden with a bare patch about 3m x 4m that needs re-seeding so I could just have a go for this year.

Tempting.

Rob

ck2day

• Experienced Member
GYO bread ?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 16:37 »
Like you I tried a breadmaker borrowed from a friend, but just didnt get on with it.  The bread didn't rise cos the paddle didnt mix it all together properly.  It was a lot of pallaver for a loaf of bread and it took up a lot of space on my worktops.  I'll stick to me mums good old mixer and a bit of bashing of the bread dough.

I like the idea of a front garden of wheat swaying in the breeze though, doubt if the OH would go for it.

Keep us posted  

Claire :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Scribbler

GYO bread ?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 16:51 »
I was just going to post this link too. Could be the next big thing.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

sharky

• Experienced Member
GYO bread ?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 16:58 »
Very interesting article.
Though 300 square meters for a family of four is a massive amount of space for a small holder.

Scribbler

GYO bread ?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 17:14 »
Have to rotate crops too.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
GYO bread ?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 17:16 »
am i the only one who had images of planting a roll and picking a loaf a week later  :oops:

Scribbler

GYO bread ?
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 17:22 »
Yes.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
GYO bread ?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 17:37 »
i can remember the news having pictures of farmers throwing milk down the drain cos they had too much and the the grain mountain etc etc
and now there is a shortage....wheres the logic?
and as for growing your own, most new houses have a postage stamp size garden or none at all so thats that out.
rant over :D

gobs

GYO bread ?
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 18:27 »
Well, the growing it is just a thing, you got to find a way of making your flour before you start. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
GYO bread ?
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 21:38 »
Dont really fancy growing it meself but as for the breadmakers, FANTASTIC, would'nt be without mine, in fact just about to set it up for tonight, lovely fresh bread at 6am, oh happy days.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

SkipRat

GYO bread ?
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 22:07 »
We also have just got a breadmaker, made our first loaf last night and it tasted lovely. Can see us using it regularly
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

matron

GYO bread ?
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 22:14 »
Thanks Aidy and SkipRat. I was getting a little paranoid there as I love my breadmaker as well. Malt loaf, fruit loaf oh, and bread as well (made with organic flour) LOVELY.  :lol:  :lol:

xx
eggy fried bread with strawberries

Started by karlooben on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 20:41
by karlooben

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 36 queries.