fire lighting tips please

• 17 Replies

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:49 »
we have chopped a load of bushes down at the back of our 2nd plot and the easiest way to get rid of it is to burn it but we are really struggling with this, we have tried newspaper under it and cardboard but it just doesn't want to burn (it will be wet now but it wasn't) hubby wanted to use the petrol that he has for his rotavator but there has to be an easier way. how do you guys do it?

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:57 »
How about making a small fire first with firelighters and dry kindling and when it's burning nicely put on the rest in small stages? :)

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:24 »
Hi Lucywil, I had exactly the same problem, I've got tons and tons of trees, shrubs, you name it to get rid of. I always struggled with fires, could never get them going etc, and they always left stubborn branches etc that wouldn't burn down.

UNTIL!!

I bought a fire-bin from Wilkos. It's just like a dustbin, made out of metal, with holes in the side and the lid has a flue. It was £14.99, mail order, so they delivered it too.
I am hard to impress, but this is my new best friend, I've burnt and got rid of more stuff in the last month than it took me in a year of to-ing and fro-ing to the tip etc. I bought it out of desperation, thinking I would at least be able to burn clippings etc, but it burns EVERYTHING, as it gets so hot, and honestly, it leaves nothing behind apart from lovely ash which I have dug into my beds. All you need is some secateurs or whatever, to cut things to a size they will fit in the bin. I've burnt all my tree prunings, everything.

I know this is a long post but that's how impressed I am with it.   :D
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Small Potatoes

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:48 »
the way we did it in the scouts when we did slash and burn (coppicing woodland and burning lots of fresh, damp, green growth) and camping trips in the rain was to make a decent sized pile of scruched up newspaper pages, individual ones to give lots of air. then lay wigwam style lots of small twigs over this. then prop some larger pieces over it so that they aren't touching the pile (and smothering it) but suspended over it. put lots of wet wood around but not on the area and then light it. the idea is to dry the wood with the fire before actually putting it in, otherwise it just squashes the fire and smothers it. the key to a good fire is lots of air and using the heat that comes out to dry stuff (rather than the actual flames) before adding to the fire.
arkala we will do our best, etc...

sorry is all that really obvious?

Dominic

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 12:57 »
Petrol.

Although Small Potatoes explanation of fire building was pretty good.

You need kindling, which is what you light first.
Then small dry fuel, twigs, above it that will light quickly.
then above that, bigger but still dry stuff, and above that, whatever else you have.

But in all honesty, petrol is just much easier.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 13:14 »
Quote from: "Dominic"

Easy way to get admitted to A&E with severe burns!

If you must you an accelerent such as petrol, I would recommend wrapping a rag around the end of a runner bean cane, lighting it and throwing it at the rubbish like a spear, standing well back, them things can explode.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 14:18 »
If using an accelerant, parafin i safer.
But firelighters from any supermarket, etc are a far better option.
If you're struggling for dry twigs, do the ray mears trick and find a larger dry piece of timber, take a knife and shave thin bits off it. These will make good kindling to get a flame, then quickly put on slightly larger 'lumps' and the wet stuff can go on, bit by bit.

shaun

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 15:41 »
diesel werks for me  8) much safer than petrol
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 15:41 »
akela was cubs lol ,,,,,,scout leaders dont do that lmao.... thank ye gods :wink:  :lol:
still alive /............

Lynne

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 15:52 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
How about making a small fire first with firelighters and dry kindling and when it's burning nicely put on the rest in small stages? :)

Exactly how I do it.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

Small Potatoes

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 16:01 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
akela was cubs lol ,,,,,,scout leaders dont do that lmao.... thank ye gods :wink:  :lol:

:oops:  indeed it was! how foolish, i remember now, scouts was with the flag and then an organised p*ss up!

petrol? diesel? i've never used any of that stuff for lighting fires, especially since my brother decided to help a slow starting bbq along with a cup of ethanol pinched from the old man's shed. i tried warning him and couldn't help but feel a little smug when the whole lot burst into flames without even hitting the coals and my bro was stood there with a 'w'appen?' expression on his eyebrowless face  :tongue2:

moz

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 17:11 »
Dont use petrol, just not worth the risk, its so volatile the vapour spreads quite far so can basically erupt as soon as a match comes near...and its only then that you realise you are in the middle of the vapour cloud, and accidentally spilt some on your hands, clothes etc.

Fire lighters are much safer, build a pile of old newspaper, firelightes and split wood (ie wood from and old pallet split into lenghs about half an inch square) and then light the fire lighters and get the thing going. Once the wood is beginning to burn the add a few bigger bits of wood till all is well alight then add the old bushes on top. The heat will dry things out (even when freshly cut the sap makes it hard to burn) and then things will start to burn pretty well.

I find firelighters definately the best way and always keep a pack down the allotment for when I need to burn things (much safer to store than petrol aswell).

Hope you manage,

Cheers,
Moz

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 17:43 »
the kindling>small twigs>large twigs>larger wood  in a pyramid works everytime.when i was in the scouts u were only allowed 2 matches so u had to do it right.
u need some drier wood to get it going then when its hot enough it will burn anything...then u can add ur bushes etc which being newly cut will be too wet to burn straight away hence ur problem no doubt.

mkhenry

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 21:23 »
If you want to fall out with just about everybody there is no faster way then starting a fire in the wrong place at the wrong time.
A fire bin is by far the most efficient, safest. and friendly way to burn you unwanted bits of wood ,twigs, and branches.
It may take a little longer but it will burn far better and leave you far less to get rid of once the fire is out.
If you look around you should be able to pick up a very cheap second hand one somewhere.  You will keep your lottie friends ,and there is also far less risk of the fire spreading. Those lighted embers fly for a very long distance on a light breeze, and you are less likely to injure yourself or anyone else.  Plus you can use it time and time again. :lol:  :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 21:37 »
Quote from: "Dominic"
Petrol.

Although Small Potatoes explanation of fire building was pretty good.

You need kindling, which is what you light first.
Then small dry fuel, twigs, above it that will light quickly.
then above that, bigger but still dry stuff, and above that, whatever else you have.

You wanna be careful what you're doing mate.  Petrol can be a deadly substance if you're not super cautious.  The flash point is very low and it can spontaneously combust, even explode, far quicker than you can run away or take other avoidance.

Known dry wood, brought from home or wherever is best to get a blaze going, in conjuction with a firelighter.  A candle is often a good article for maintaining an initial blaze, until enough heat has built up to burn larger pieces.

xx
Tips on getting a fire going

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post November 28, 2009, 10:12
by Paul Plots
xx
Lighting and heating the greenhouse

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 13:13
by Aidy
xx
Lighting Advice for my Propagation Tatble

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 10:22
by yorky
xx
FIRE !!! Help please

Started by brightgirls on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 12:45
by aelf

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 36 queries.