Greenhouses secondhand

• 25 Replies

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Greenhouses secondhand
« on: March 06, 2008, 23:49 »
At last - Ive managed to track down a usable secondhand greenhouse, its in excellent nic - has anyone any tips on dismantling procedures?

:D
Death OR Cake ???

peter james

Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 00:38 »
hi cooperman i would take a good few photos to help when you come to put it back up in its new home. it might seem easy enough but you wouldnt beleave how easy it is to forget what goes where.just a tip hope it helps.. :wink:  8) ....p,j,

Small Potatoes

Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:43 »
Quote from: "peter james"
hi cooperman i would take a good few photos to help when you come to put it back up in its new home. it might seem easy enough but you wouldnt beleave how easy it is to forget what goes where.just a tip hope it helps.. :wink:  8) ....p,j,

that's exactly what I failed to do last when I went and got mine! it's was a nightmare putting it back together again. definitely take pics and/or (this may sound a bit extreme but...) stick some labels onto the parts identifying where abouts they go. would've saved me a whole days worth of head scratching.
regarding tools you'll need spanners, sockets and wrench, and if it's in anywhere near as bad a condition as mine was you'll need some boltcutters and hacksaw!
may be worth spraying your nuts with WD40 the day before too. :wink:
hope that's some use!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:46 »
Number all the metal parts with a perminent marker and draw a plan of where they go.  A la ikea  :shock:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:17 »
Ohh you lot are so organised ! I had hours of "fun" trying to work mine out  :lol:  

Before you reassemble give the parts a good wash down, I used a washing upliquid/bleach combo to help get rid of any nastys.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:18 »
I took my MIL's greenhouse down in autumn one year and assembled it in my garden the next spring.  I'd have stood NOOOO chance with out labeling it and making a diagram as I took it down Richy  :shock:

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 14:19 »
may be worth spraying your nuts with WD40 the day before too. :wink:

Is that really necessary?? or is it just my mucky mind

shaun

Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 16:24 »
take the glass out,remove the roof (straight forward) unbolt the 2 ends so you have the 2 sides intact and the 2 ends intact theres no need to unbolt every bit of it  :wink: with a decent sized roof rack,trailor.or van off yer go or if its not far and you have a few pals once the glass is out you can carry it wholesale
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 16:57 »
Great idea Shaun  :D

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 23:17 »
wow - thanks peeps all good helpful advice, I will take piccy when its up and "running" and plonk it on here.......

Its really strange as Ive been looking for a second hand one for ages and just happened to mention this to a work colleague and he said his dad wanted to get rid of one!  Moral is I guess is to have some sort of noticeboard at work for people to use for all sorts of wants or get-rid-ofs...... hmmmm one for the suggestion box i reckon

anyways cheers - oh yes it cost all of £25..!! bargain i'd say!!  All the glass in tact 'cept for one louvre missing...nuff said

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 15:58 »
I'd do it just like shaun says, only i wouldn't bother trying to undo the nuts
 I'd just turn them as if to tighten 'em and snap them off and replace with new ones. much quicker, easier and there only cheap.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

Frog

• Experienced Member
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 17:05 »
We got our secondhand greenhouse off of Freecycle. :D  It is currently half built! All of the frame is up, we're just having to replace some of the glass. Again we were lucky enough to have been given some glass, but it is the wrong size (too big). Anyone got any tips on glass cutting, or know somewhere cheap to get it done? Local (Gloucester) firm quote £25 to get approx 20 panes cut :shock:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 19:51 »
Dead easy once you have the knack,

get your self a glass cutter nothing fancy one of those 6 wheeled ones about £3 will do fine, make sure your glass is clean, you will need a straight edge like a T square etc.

On a flat surface line up your straight edge push down firmly with your glass cutter and draw it along the straight edge.

You should end up with a solid score line going from one end to the other, now put a pencil under the score line and press down on the glass on both sides at the same time needs a fair amount of pressure or you can position the score line over the edge of the table and snap it over the edge.

Just like cutting tiles really you can use a permanent marker to mark out your cuts if you wish, once you can do it, it really is easy. Just a bit of practice

AND DON'T FORGET SAFETY GOGGLES AND GLOVES  :wink:

Frog

• Experienced Member
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 13:07 »
Hi Rich,
Many thanks for your reply. We borrowed a small glass cutter from my sister, and OH was convinced he could have it done in no time :lol:  He cut 2 panes of glass that both broke, but not along the lines he had scored!! :x  He then gave up, and said we would find someone else to do it! Having just read your post, he has returned to the allotment a determined man!! Fingers crossed, and hope they remain intact!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greenhouses secondhand
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 15:04 »
:lol:

xx
Secondhand rotavator prices

Started by Browser on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post November 28, 2008, 23:03
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
B&Q greenhouses

Started by potatopotato on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 18:27
by blue_cortina
xx
Greenhouses

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 13:01
by The Red Baron
xx
Pop-up greenhouses

Started by surbie100 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 12:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 36 queries.