I need a very cunning plan

• 26 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:15 »
For ages we (the kids and me) wanted chickens, the good wife dont, she has had her way for a good many years, but as I have not mentioned them now for a while i thought the time has come again to see if I can attack from another angle so I am now enlisting you good ppl of the forum to come up with a cunning plan. We have tried the softy approach by visiting a friends place that has them so she could the kids with them, we have tried the fresh egg road but to no avail. HELP!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

naturesparadise

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:21 »
have you tried the Little fluffy chick rout  or the hatching eggs rout  :wink:

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 12:29 »
Aidy,

What are your OH's objections ?

Can we attack each one so there's no logical argument against them.

NP's suggestions sound good. Appeals straight to the heart. Plus all the chicken manure you can shake a shovel at. Get even better veg.

Rob

Bodger

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 14:29 »
Change the locks when she's out. :lol:

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 14:45 »
My OH was totally 100% against them.  

One evening, out of the blue, (best tact) I just asked him to list each objection.  Properly - not just 'Cos I don't want them/like them etc)

Then  I went through each one - there were lots - and talked logically through them.

EG. - 'They are a tie.'
Only the same as any other pet - and in some cases less than others.  You can leave chickens for a long weekend PROVIDED you provide lots of water (and I mean lots on the summer), and food (you can get big feeders for chickens).  You may come back with a heap of eggs in the nest boxes that's all.

You can ask a neighbour or friend if you are going away to feed and water them - and they can have the eggs as a reward.  A sensible teenager would love the job of 'chicken sitting' for a week or so.

Mess/Smell/Flies - with good animal husbandry these can be avoided.
Clean them our regularly - I used Aubiose or Hemcore which is brilliant. A sprinkling of  Stalisan keeps it all fresh, keeps the flies at bay, and other bugs.   Garlic in their water or garlic granules in their food - stops their poos from smelling - yes really.  I leave a couple  of cloves of garlic in their water all the time.

As I mentioned - they can be a list of objections, but all can be talked through sensibly.

End result - providing its you that takes full responsibility, cleans them out, feeds them, etc etc and agree to abide by all the concessions - then no reason why you can't get them.  

Guess who makes more fuss of the chickens now - yes you've guessed it.  But I still do all the looking after etc - he gets the good bits and throws them any nibbles or left over porridge etc to they follow him around like the Pied Piper.

If all else fails ( but I am sure it won't ) - there is always the 'Actually dear, I am an adult of xx age, and I really don't need to be told what I can and can not have'  (Not in a raised voice of course)

:wink:
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 15:12 »
its really easy, get a couple, hide them in the garden.

next day you find them by surprise, someone must have chucked them over the fence. :)

it really does happen, ive seen it first hand. someone always seems to throw them into my garden just before dad pays a visit  :roll:

and im sure there's someone else on this forum (mumsy) who has seen something similar :wink:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 15:17 »
ta, loads of good suggestions, the bodger one sounds good  :twisted:  but logicaly i will take kooringa's tact me thinks, tried the fluffy chick, if it screamed for milk, wrapped in a blanket with a nappy on, well it will be in before i can blink an eye. maybe a trip to a livestock market one weekend with the kids  :wink:

naturesparadise

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 15:25 »
well you could go with this

LOOK IM THE MAN OF THE HOUSE AND WE ARE HAVEN THEM END OF

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

but this way you could end up in the garden shed forever  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 15:28 »
Quote from: "naturesparadise"
well you could go with this

LOOK IM THE MAN OF THE HOUSE AND WE ARE HAVEN THEM END OF

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

but this way you could end up in the garden shed forever  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

behave NP, or i'll tell your mum  :wink:

Vember

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 16:20 »
Just get them and tell your O/H that they were destined for that bad place where un-lucky chickens go :(   I'm sure you know where I mean!

Works for me my normal saying is "I couldn't leave them, knowing what was going to happen to them"    :wink:  :lol:

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 16:41 »
Get some ex batts and tell her that after years of eating their eggs and adding to the demand which keeps them in those conditions you feel that its only right and proper that you should adopt some so they can enjoy a happy retirement. If she says that she buys free range then tell her about all the other products that battery eggs go into. Failing that just go and get some along with a bunch of flowers. She will stop sulking after a week or so and the peace and quiet will be worth it  :lol:
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 18:23 »
Does the garlic thing really work!! :?:

Do the eggs smell a bit.......french?
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 18:31 »
Yep, would definately go with chappers suggestion and tug on the heartstrings.  It worked with my OH and he is a confirmed carnivore who would shoot anything soon as look at it.

NormandyMary

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 18:37 »
Great idea Chappers. No one could ever refuse an ex batt. Even the coldest hearts would melt!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 18:37 »
Yes, the garlic really does work and does not flavour the eggs either   :D

xx
Cunning use for grass cuttings??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 15:32
by poultrygeist
xx
the chicken plan!!!

Started by gowing238 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 20:35
by ANHBUC
xx
Egg peritonitis - Recovery plan.

Started by Simply Dottie. on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 23:38
by ANHBUC
xx
Trying to plan coop but struggling on internals

Started by tegfryn on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 07:06
by RichardH

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 36 queries.