What can i grow in a grow bag?

• 11 Replies

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« on: March 05, 2008, 17:13 »
As title really.

I've just seen that ALDI's got a few gardening bits on special from tomorrow til saturday (then a different lot on sunday).

Saw this organic grow bag for £1.19p

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5239.htm

As i've got a greenhouse on a concrete base i thought it might be worth stcking up on a few. But what can i grow in them?

Thanks xxxx
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 17:19 »
Most salad stuf...try puting the bags on their sides rather than flat....there's more soil then for the plants to get their roots into. Or, you could also use them as a base for the ring-culture method...
Tomatoes grown by Ring Culture  

For reasons topographical (my plot slopes) I built my greenhouse above ground level with a wooden floor. This avoided the civil engineering to level the site but presented a problem - how do I grow my tomatoes? There are no beds to plant into and pots or grow bags are a pain to water (and to contain spillage) and are messy - answer ring culture.

Having some 25mm marine ply as an off cut from renovations to my kitchen, I constructed a box, somewhat reminiscent of a small coffin, about 1.8m x 60cm with sides about 30 cm high and a bottom, but no lid. The box was placed in the greenhouse taking up most of the long side, and then lined with two layers of clear polythene sheet. Into the lined box went clean pea shingle to a depth of about 15 cm. The bottoms were cut from five old 23 cm plastic pots with a craft knife and tomato plants carefully planted in JI No 3, leaving space for watering. Temporary polythene sheet bottoms were used to prevent the JI falling out.

The pots were placed on my shingle base and the temporary bottoms carefully removed. A good watering settled in the plants and supporting canes were attached to the roof of the greenhouse. This was the last water to be applied via the pots; future watering was into the shingle base, which was kept wet. When the fruit began to form the pots were fed with proprietary liquid fertiliser. All of this magic is possible because the plants form two distinct root systems, the water absorbing roots, which reach down into the shingle, and the feeding roots that form in the compost in the pots.
A distinct advantage is the ease of maintenance as the water level in the base is not critical (unless it rises over the sides and causes a flood!). And the feeding just requires the dilute fertiliser to be added to fill the space at the top of the pots. It is all very clean and orderly and recyclable as the shingle in the base can be washed and reused each year.

The crops produced are the equal of those grown by more conventional means and the system seems capable of growing sweet peppers and other exotica - further trials next year.

By Bruce Jones

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: What can i grow in a grow bag?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 19:25 »
Quote from: "beki"
As title really.

I've just seen that ALDI's got a few gardening bits on special from tomorrow til saturday (then a different lot on sunday).

Saw this organic grow bag for £1.19p

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5239.htm

As i've got a greenhouse on a concrete base i thought it might be worth stcking up on a few. But what can i grow in them?

Thanks xxxx

In an old Dobies seed catalogue it showed how many plants you could grow in a 10" pot and how many in a growbag. The details are 10" pot first, growbag second:-

Aubergine - 1/3
Runner Beans - 4/8
French Beans - 4/8
Beetroot - Sow direct and thin to 1" apart/Same.
Carrots - 32/144 (Not sure about this unless it is some sort of baby variety)
Courgette - 1/2
Marrow (Squash) - 1/2
Leek - Sow direct and thin to 1/2" apart/ No
Lettuce - No/8" apart (Not sure why you can't grow a Lettuce in a pot providing you fill it up to the top with compost.)
Parsnip - Sow direct and thin to 2" apart (Again not sure about this unless it is a small variety)
Peppers - 1/3
Potatoes - 1 or 2/Reduce length of growbag by a third to give more compost depth and plant 2 tubers to a bag. Compost will need to be well watered. If any potatoes come to the surface cover with more compost or black plastic.
Leaf Chard - Sow direct finely - no need to thin/ Same
Salad Onions - Sow direct finely - no need to thin/ Same
Strawberries - 3/12-18" apart
Tomatoes - 1/3
Turnips - Sow direct and thin to 1" apart/Same

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 20:30 »
I find it chepaer to buy big bags of potting compst and plant stuff in pots.  How much compost is there in a growbag?  then look at the BIG bags of compost. A lot of places do say 4 x 75litre bags for £10, so just compare that with how much is in those growbags.

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 21:27 »
I wonder if growbags are better for moisture retention than pots? (Since there is less soil that is exposed to air).
Martin

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:20 »
I grew pak choi in a grow bag. Did well anorl  :D   I stack em two deep sometimes for chillies and aubs but you have to remember to cut holes in both bags  :oops:  8)

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:30 »
LOL.. with my memory i'm not so sure i could garuantee that  :lol:

Thanks for all the advice... looks like i've got plenty to be getting on with!!! xxxx

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:38 »
yeah exactly  :D  Good luck

Ann

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 22:36 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
I find it chepaer to buy big bags of potting compst and plant stuff in pots.  How much compost is there in a growbag?  then look at the BIG bags of compost. A lot of places do say 4 x 75litre bags for £10, so just compare that with how much is in those growbags.

That is what I bought last year 4 bags of compost for £10 from wickes and I had much better results than with the grow bags from Aldi

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 22:39 »
you can bung them in the compost when you've done with them or spread them out into the garden or plot so quite good value

Johnny Norfolk

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 23:57 »
I use grow bags and when the season is over I mulch the flower beds with the spent compost. My soil condition and fertlity is first class.
Support The Country Way of Life

kezlou

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:12 »
I use growbags for growing lettueces, peas, beans, beetroot, tomatoes, cucumbers anything basically. This year i'll be using them for aubergines too and other squashes.

Turned one growbag on its side cut off its topand put some chitted spuds in, just thought i'd try it. Checked them today and the potatoes seem growing nicely.

Good luck with it all! :D
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Cut and grow

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 17:58
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 37 queries.