Germinating in propagator

• 4 Replies

mashauk

« on: March 03, 2008, 15:11 »
If you put seeds in to germinate, and nothing has happened in the time expected as per the seed packet, would you leave them in there and hope?  Or try some more or something different (or give up and try straight in the ground/polytunnel).  I'm depressed, off work with a tummy bug today and looked in the propagator and absolutely no sign of anything coming up yet :cry:

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 15:18 »
No-shows sometimes happen. Personally, I'd make a small dib into a row and see what's happening. Has the seed turned moldy or is it swollen and ready to sprout? If the latter, pack it carefully back and be patient. If the former, definitely try again but in fresh mix. If the temp is adjustable, lower it a bit and go easy on watering.

mashauk

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 15:52 »
There's 7 different veg seeds in there, in a seed tray, I'm thinking for some reason it's to do with the seed tray as when I had stuff in paper pots they were coming up, albeit dying afterwards (too early!), and it's not as hot and steamy in there now, it's still 21 degrees but before we were having to open the vents and didn't water anything, there's no thermostatic control other than the vents.  I hardly sprayed it last time, but this time the compost seems very dry.  I think I'll leave it about another week then take the seed tray out, put it in the polytunnel and start again with small individual pots and see what happens. Will have a bit of a poke in the meantime though :lol:

Dominic

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 16:02 »
I have a strange and irrational wish to dig up my garlic to see whats going on...
If its not dead, I'll kill it, but I still want to see.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

mashauk

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 16:12 »
My garlic and onions are coming up a treat, so far, we had white rot in the shallots and spring onions last year, but this year I've just planted white onions so finger's crossed!

xx
Germinating

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 11:21
by muntjac
xx
Peas not germinating

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 09:17
by mumofstig
xx
germinating sweetcorn

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 08, 2016, 17:34
by 3759allen
xx
Germinating seeds

Started by moggy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 09:29
by dugless

Page created in 0.86 seconds with 36 queries.