Big Dig - TV

• 25 Replies

wellybabe

Big Dig - TV
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:07 »
Hi everyone especially newbies

Those who have Sky TV may be interested in the Big Dig TV programme about allotments in London and Cardiff.  

It`s on UKTV Gardens from Monday various times staggered through the week so you may wish to record or watch when it suits you.  

I believe it is a repeat but sometimes worth watching again - The first programme finds them planting their early potatoes and putting up the bean frames.  

There is a new programme every 24 hours in the series, so worth setting your repeat timer on; some programmes may be relevent to you or not but it may be useful for some.

Hope this is helpful to someone! :)  :lol:  :wink:
Everyday is the dawn of a new error...

matron

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:48 »
Hi WellyBabe,
The Big Dig was shown on one of the TV channels a couple of years ago but they didn't finish the series for some reason. They only went up to about 4 episodes. It was on at about 3.30pm, perhaps it was too raunchy for before the watershed :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

compostqueen

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 13:15 »
I think they pulled it far too soon. Simon Mayo's delivery was a bit boring but at least they were real allotments and real plotters so when I sat down with the video set and a bleeping repeat of Flog It came on I was right flipping disappointed.  

I thought when it came on UKTV I could catch it but I find I only have UKTV Bright Ideas  :roll:  :roll:  * :!:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Big Dig - TV
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 15:43 »
I loved watching The Big Dig because as you say, it was real people on real allotments!  But I'm sure there were more than 4 programmes.  About 10 I'd say!

woodentop

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 15:48 »
I watched all the programmes - there was a complete series of about 10.Its been shown a few times now on various channels. Very good.

shaun

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 16:08 »
ive seen them all and an hour a episode could be down sized to say 15 minutes,and i like mr mayo in a funny kind of way  :?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mkhenry

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 17:54 »
The first year it was shown it was cut to around 4 episodes.

The next year (last) the full series was seen.

This year is a repeat of that with a few new bits added. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

crowndale

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 19:18 »
Sky is set to series link for recording, my daughter will raise her eyebrows i am sure!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

mikem

• Experienced Member
Big Dig - TV
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 08:19 »
Full details are as follows:-

On SKY UKTV Gardens channel 258 on Monday at 8.00 p.m. and every day next week at the same time (I presume that it will follow the same time the following week) the programme "Big Dig" is being rerun. Whilst not everyones cup of tea I quite enjoyed it. For those who don't know what it is about it is a 10 part series, details below:-

1. A tale of two plots as Simon Mayo follows two hugely contrasting sets of allotmenteers from Cardiff and London throughout the growing season. Today it’s the beginning of April and that means it’s planting out the first early potatoes, getting the greenhouse in order, the bean frames up and learning the secrets of bio-dynamic planting.

2. Today it’s nearly the end of April and the allotment inspector visits the Highgate site in London to see if the plots are all up to scratch. Meanwhile in Cardiff the most expensive potatoes in the world are planted out.

3. Today it’s the beginning of May , the world’s most expensive potatoes have gone missing, a prize pumpkin is planted in Wales – last year’s effort needed four firemen to lift it – and in London the local allotment competition is launched. Presented by Simon Mayo.

4. Today it’s the end of May and the British summer serves up hailstones in Wales, but drought conditions in London – how will both sets of gardeners cope? We also uncover the universal mystery of sheds, crop out broad beans and build a pond.

5. Today it’s the beginning of June and for the plot holders in Cardiff the first crop of early potatoes are ready and there’s a shed makeover by the wife of one unsuspecting plot holder. Over in Highgate London, the pond gets finished, watercress is planted in a nearby stream, and we discover how bananas can help your tomatoes grow.

6. It’s nearly the end of June and the allotmenteers are tasting their first strawberries of summer, the Giant pumpkin challenge is underway as to which site can grow the biggest specimen and for one suffering allotmenteer it’s planting out his carrots for the fourth time of asking after three crop failures.

7. It’s the beginning of July and just about everything in their gardens is coming up nicely on both sites, although the local allotment competition in Wales nearly ends a longstanding friendship between two keen gardeners.

8. Today it’s nearly the end of July and both sets are cropping out with spectacular success. There’s giant cabbages in Wales and massive cauliflowers in London plus beautiful blooms on both sites.

9. Today it’s the beginning of August and there’s the secret of bumper carrot crops, how to thwart cabbage butterflies and pea moth plus shed building.

10. Today it’s the end of August and the growing season is nearly finished as the allotmenteers on both sites meet to compare their produce. There’s a winner in the giant pumpkin competition and the world’s most expensive potatoes are unearthed.

mkhenry

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 16:36 »
One small thing that gets to me about the big dig is every time they show this welsh bloke ( The one growing the sarpo spuds) they have to tell you that he was a "Director" so what. What on earths that got to do with him growing veg. What you were once is not relevant, its what you are now that matters.  :roll:
Also I think that the plug was pulled on the first series because of the "WORLDS MOST EXPENSIVE POTATOES" were featured and TM did not like the exposure without being in control of what was being shown.
What would have happened if the grop had failed etc.  TM would not have liked that. :lol:  :wink:

paintedlady

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:11 »
I liked the episode when there is an unknown competitor for the largest pumpkin ... made me smile
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

courgette

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:28 »
definitely gonna watch this prog, sounds good.
I'm working 2nite though, but its repeated 2mrw morning at 12am, 10am, 4pm so i should be able to catch one of those or tape one! :)

courgette

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 09:38 »
Just found prog on called Grow your own veg which starts 17th March on uktv gardens. Will be watching that one too!!
 :D

paintedlady

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 12:35 »
Quote from: "courgette"
Just found prog on called Grow your own veg which starts 17th March on uktv gardens. Will be watching that one too!!
 :D

That is definitely a good series to watch - I would highly recommend it.  Carol Klein sometimes goes over the top, but it shows passion.  The section on growing brassicas was very informative for anyone with clubroot problems on their plot.

simond9383

Big Dig - TV
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 17:38 »
For those that dont know, the main star on the Welsh allotments is Terry Walton - much featured on Jeremy Vine on Radio 2.
Try to be organic ...sort of ...most of the time ...

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.