...& it blew, and it blew, & it knocked my greenhous

• 23 Replies

courgette

:evil:
"ten trays of seedlings sitting in the greenhouse,
ten trays of seedlings sitting in the greenhouse,
and when the f-ing wind blew, over the greenhouse fell,....
there were no trays of seedlings sitting in the greenhouse."

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

:evil: not happy this morning!!! I had every faith that the two huge concrete ornaments sitting on the frame at the bottom would hold it!  :cry:
Who else woke to misery this morning!?!

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:27 »
Really sorry to hear. Must be upsetting.

I've not ventured down the garden yet but can't see anything broken from the kitchen window. A few bits blown around mind you.

Hope you can salvage something from it and reglaze. I plugged and screwed mine down to the brick base cos it's fairly exposed at the bottom of the garden. I don't trust the wind. Nasty stuff.

Rob

Clampit

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:16 »
I lost mine last week due to wind. :cry: It hurts doesn't it. :cry:  :cry:
Thinking of sowing straight into the ground now.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 10:42 »
was at work in it all night, not very warm to say the least...and lost 3 fence panels. :evil:

kezlou

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 10:44 »
I know how you feel just went outside too check the 'mini greenhouses'  both wrecked and smashed all seeds and growbags blown all over. I'm not impressed the slightest.
 :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Just spent the past half hour fixing them both with black workie tape and rearranged the bricks in them.
Bl****dy wind!
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

courgette

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 10:47 »
Quote from: "kezlou"
I know how you feel just went outside too check the 'mini greenhouses'  both wrecked and smashed all seeds and growbags blown all over. I'm not impressed the slightest.
 :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Just spent the past half hour fixing them both with black workie tape and rearranged the bricks in them.
Bl****dy wind!

I'm not sure if its possible to save the seedlings/seeds? I had some that had just germinated & some that were in the process of germinating....they'd been out in the cold on the floor all night, i've scooped them back up & put compost back over some of the ones i could 'save' but i'm guessing they're ruined now??? any ideas? so annoyed!!

courgette

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 12:14 »
not only has it ruined my seeds, i've just discovered its broken the plastic supports on the minigreenhouse!! aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh

now the frame doenst go into the supports properly! its tipped over again & seedlings yet again gone flying  :evil:

Re-ordered seeds!  :(  

Contacted gardman to see if they'l let me purchase new frame parts!  :(  will have to not only weigh it down, but attach it to the fence or wall somehow!

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 12:32 »
I had my greenhouse vandalised a few weeks ago, so was waiting to repair it before putting seedlings in there (the chilis need pricking out soon). But last nights wind has taken the doors off, bent two uprights and twisted away a broken strut :cry:

so, i need a new greenhouse.
 :cry:  :cry:  :evil:  :cry:
That said, the old one will be carefully dismantled, the plastic glazing and framework cut and resized, and turned into a mini-greenhouse, coldframes, cloches etc etc.

No point wasting good materials 8)  :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 12:57 »
My greenhouse has a large pane sort of blown in and it's wedged. Too flipping windy to retrieve it and mend it at the moment

Sorry to hear about peeps damaged growhouses and upturned seedlings. What a blooming nuisance  :(

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 14:41 »
i dreamt that i looked out the window and my greenhouse had completely blown away!! luckily when i woke and looked out it was still there but son's play house is wrecked!! he's not too chuffed but i had been trying to think of a way of getting rid of it for ages!!

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 15:30 »
Really sorry you had such a big loss, Courgette. Do scoop up what you can and repot the seedlings. Some will recover, some won't so it won't be a total loss. The seedlings can be surprisingly tough.
On another forum I read that someone had run ropes or wire strapping over the mini greenhouses and staked the ends into the ground to hold his in place. It's solstice time and the winds are only starting.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 16:51 »
If you have any panes half in/half out or you're worried about the glass being unsafe, use something like Duck Tape (other brands are available) to bodge it all together for now so it doesn't all pop out one by one.

Might save a few broken panes.

Also good for holding broken panes together til you can properly sort it.

R

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 17:28 »
Me too!!

Went down the lotty to see 8 smashed panels and a twisted frame. Thankfully nothing growing, thats what i was going down to do!!!

Seems it gave in to me putting it up quickly last year and not securely fastening it down. All the remaining glass is now out and i am going to dismantle the frame, replace all the bolts and re-cement the base down so that it hopefully will stand the test of time this time!!!

Damn weather!!!!!

crowndale

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 19:21 »
Haven't dared go and look yet but it was really windy here last night (and no, i haven't been artichokes!)
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

loam ranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 19:24 »
I have spent this morning replacing glass in my 8+6 greenhouse, lucky there was nothing set in it.
 found two large sheets of aluminium blown off the derelict pigeon loft next door, looks like they caused the damage (Ill have to have a polite word in the owners ear) Other allotments near have also suffered.
However it could have been worse, could have happened to my other greenhouse which has seeds & flowers growing in there.

xx
Early Potatoes knocked about

Started by farmerdave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2007, 19:51
by WG.
xx
what could have knocked the tops off my lettuces?

Started by Wombat18 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 10:59
by Wombat18

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 36 queries.