BBC Gardeners' World

• 35 Replies

compostqueen

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 13:06 »
I enjoyed it too. I like the opportunity to sit down with a glass of wine, winding down at the end of the week  :D   That gal is a top young gardener and knows what's she's about, and what does it matter what she wears in the garden  :D

I think knocking GW is now a national sport  :D

Trillium

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 15:57 »
Living outside the UK, I can watch only the small video clips on the GW website, Scentedstock, but they're obviously trying to get people to practice older techniques. Mainly - grow plants that work best in your own area. While we may all love certain varieties of say, apples, the plants themselves will have slightly different needs that your own area can't supply properly or fully. Some plants do better in more clay soil, some in chalkier soil. Same with temps, snowcover, rainfall, salty seabreezes, etc factors. So the point is to grow locally developed varieties that will grow well and abundantly.  A lot of growers tend to overlook these simple things in their quest to grow 'the best' or 'only what I like' rather than what really suits their conditions.

And being a national show, they must cater always to both beginners and newcomers, not an easy task with both sides complaining about the other.

shaun

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 16:13 »
i think G.W is a waste of licence money(bad subject i know).I would like to know how much it costs to make  :evil:
they dont need so many presenters and get shut of the long borders and the tropical garden  :roll:  :!:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

brucesgirl

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 18:49 »
Ahem  - what's wrong with the tropical garden Shaun?

My back garden is tropical for the most part and I find it useful to see when they cover and uncover the plants and how to look after them

fletch

• Experienced Member
BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 19:33 »
To be honest I look forward to the tropical garden as well as I grow a lot of exotics.
I just find large segments of the show irrelevant and most of the features dated and boring. I mean, what 's the point of dedicating 10 out of 30 minutes of the only mainstream gardening programme in the country on something like propogating Dahlias from seed, or how to grow a "green coloured" border.
It's stuck in a bygone age, most people I know want to know how to grow exciting modern plants and see contemorary designs, suitable for the small to medium sized modern garden. Most of the individual elements at Berryfields are the size of most peoples gardens.
Typical example? Everybody is advocating the benefits of a pond to attract wildlife. What does GW do? Creates a pond of a size suitable for a stately home or municipal park.  :roll:

Anyway, rant over  :D
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Annie

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 21:56 »
Missed it due to a power cut,I like to see oddly dressed people on GW and still live in hope that one female presenter will sucessfully plant her scarf this year... :lol:  :lol:

shaun

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 21:59 »
Quote from: "Annie"
Missed it due to a power cut,I like to see oddly dressed people on GW and still live in hope that one female presenter will sucessfully plant her scarf this year... :lol:  :lol:

wish she would get it caught in the tines on the rotavator now that would be worth watching  :wink:

Ice

• muck spreader
BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 22:02 »
Quote from: "shaun"
Quote from: "Annie"

wish she would get it caught in the tines on the rotavator now that would be worth watching  :wink:
Ditto to both. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Ann

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 22:10 »
I enjoyed watching GW for years but gave up when Monty Don took over.

Ice

• muck spreader
BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 22:14 »
Quote from: "Ann"
He's a sure cure for insomnia.  If he has a personality it doesn't come over on GW.

shaun

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 22:15 »
to be honest it needs a makeover,it needs some new blood and no more tropical gardens,long borders,big lakes and 20' wooly scalfs.enough is enough

shaun

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 22:17 »
Quote from: "Ann"

he used to design and make jewellery

Trillium

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 23:53 »
Actually, it was his wife who designed and made the jewellery. He flogged it and ran the business from what I read somewhere.

JimG

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 19:31 »
I actually find Monty Don very engaging and, unlike some, is a man who genuinely loves what he does and is not trying to sell me a lifestyle.  Mind you, I do blame the man for my bad back!

Judging from the average garden centre customer of a Sunday afternoon, I was well and truly suckered into thinking that this gardening malarky was quite a doddle!  Yeah, right!  Can't blame Jamie 'Geezer' Oliver as surely no-one ever believed he dug his own garden, did they?

Agree about the scale of the G.W. gardens but think this year they're planning to do a regular slot on a new allotment, aren't they?  Looking forward to it myself.

naturesparadise

BBC Gardeners' World
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 19:36 »
that show died when Jeff Hamilton, did it was never the same

xx
Gardeners world Alain T

Started by Caretaker on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 19:51
by topgardener
xx
Gardeners' World & global warming

Started by Bernard on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 19:41
by johnathome
xx
The best fertiliser is a gardeners shadow.

Started by Stree on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 18:23
by Yorkie
xx
Gardener's World

Started by zebraff on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 08:53
by zebraff

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 30 queries.