my first ever seeds have grown

• 10 Replies

diddy dave

« on: February 29, 2008, 09:51 »
ive done it my first seeds have poked up 2 say hello its a great feeling knowing that i have watered planted and grown them ........... o they r radishes by the way not much but its a start.................    :D  feel rather happy with my self well i best go and see what else has started 2 grow good by 4 now................ :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

courgette

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 11:05 »
good feeling isnt it! i'm new at all this too. got onions (spring i think!) growing in mini-green house at the mo. just started to show through soil!....waiting for other veges to do something still!

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:00 »
wooooh radishes! Way to go  :D  Parsnip and radish seed are a marriage made in heaven so you could sow them next. Mixed together in the one packet, the radishes mark the parsnip row as parsnip takes yonks to germinate and you can easily forget they're there or think they're not going to show, so sowing quick growing radishes in the same row marks it out for you.  As you pull the radishes for eating you aerate the parsnip seedlings

Leapyear

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:50 »
One newbie to another............I'm really jealous :twisted: c'ant wait to get mine started :!: :D
Out of the south cometh the whirlwind....out of the north the cold!

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 13:05 »
Well done! I know the feeling, as i have 7 broad beans which are anywhere from 0.25 to 2 inches tall!  :D

Sowed 8 sage, 8 more broad beans, and 20 celeriac a couple of days ago so still waiting for them to come through.. i'm checking the greenhouse at least 4 times a day  :oops:   :lol:

xxxx
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

Jo-n-Neil

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 13:14 »
blimey i wish i had your willpower. I check my seeds about every 20 mins.

My toms are doing lovely, and some radishes and Aubergines are coming through. I also have loads of chillis coming through and some Basil. Just fancied having a go at Basil as i love it.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 15:36 »
Sowing session here today too as no plotting as it's been raining all day. I'm on my second basil sowing. Love the stuff too  :D

I sowed some of those stripey aubs as well. The first lot didn't make it so here we go again

Jo-n-Neil

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 17:28 »
When the time comes im going to put my toms in the polytunnel can i use the Basil for companion planting? Im sure i read it somewhere but cant find it now. I could have dreamt it either.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 17:46 »
I think marigolds go with toms and basil as a companion plant to ward off aphid or white fly, think it might be the smell which they don't like

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 18:05 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
wooooh radishes! Way to go  :D  Parsnip and radish seed are a marriage made in heaven so you could sow them next. Mixed together in the one packet, the radishes mark the parsnip row as parsnip takes yonks to germinate and you can easily forget they're there or think they're not going to show, so sowing quick growing radishes in the same row marks it out for you.  As you pull the radishes for eating you aerate the parsnip seedlings

ooooooooh what a brill idea! the number of parsnips i've lost! thankyou gonna def try that! :D  its true ... you are never too old to learn ... we've had our plot 10 years
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 13:30 »
I got that tip from The Allotment DVD from a permaculture bloke  :D

xx
what to do with onions grown from seeds

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 21:36
by SkipRat
xx
Er, what's this? Grown from 'basil' seeds

Started by jamesbrownontheroad on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 12:35
by Oliver
xx
Home grown Estamino seeds

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 26, 2020, 10:40
by mumofstig
xx
Veggie seeds grown in toilet paper rolls.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2020, 18:49
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 36 queries.