leeks

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

leeks
« on: Yesterday at 15:56 »
I was watching beachgrove gardens the other day and they where pulling leeks and they really looked a good crop of leeks thick shafts ours look a bit tinny compared to there's the variety they where growing where Musselburgh what I would call a standard variety  we usually grow porbella a little more expensive seed than Musselburgh but definitely not as big shafts as those on Beachgrove so I said to the wife  must be doing something wrong so I'm going to ask my fellow gardeners the best way of growing leeks or in other words I need your professional advise  from proper leek growers :D

Sands

Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:34 »
I usually grow Mussebourgh and have tried others. The results have varied, so will stick with the cheaper option, This years crop took ages to `get going` like a lot of my other stuff. However the leeks have grown a lot taller now but quite thin.

jambop

Re: leeks
« Reply #2 on: Today at 13:58 »
I am inclined to suggest good soil preparation the year before planting the leeks out and also growing a reliable cultivar. I would use F1 hybrid seed if I wanted a really good uniform crop. F1 seeds are usually a bit more pricey than run of the mill seeds BUT the are reliable and true. If you are busting your hump preparing the soil to grow the crop you owe it to your self to use the best seeds you can.

xx
Leeks

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 22:30
by viettaclark
xx
leeks

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2016, 21:15
by jambop
xx
leeks

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 21:26
by Bombers
xx
leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 10:17
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.098 seconds with 36 queries.