Blight

• 9 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Blight
« on: September 18, 2024, 09:21 »
on all my potatoes in pots  :( I'll cut the tops off in a minute...there may be something worth eating - if so I'll leave them a couple of weeks before I empty the tubs....
It's even got under the plastic covering the late planted 'Christmas' ones, so that's them done for...
Grump grump, this year has been an all round disappointment.

Anybody else feeling the same??

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Blight
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2024, 19:03 »
Oh what a disappointment for you!  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 09:38 »
Yes I think this has been a year to forget. Brilliant asparagus and a few onions but lots of crops didn’t germinate well or succumbed to the ****** slugs and snails. Now to top it off my tomatoes at home and at the plot have both had blight. Fingers crossed for a better season next year.
Keep digging

Richard Yates

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2024, 11:23 »
I haven't had any tomatoes yet. I was given some cherry tomato plants, and a baker's dozen Alicante. Lots of green tomatoes, only a few beginning to change colour.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2024, 16:40 »
Oh bad luck MoS... it's been a mixed year for me.. carrots we're a no show, beetroot all bolted, swede were all misshapen and inedible, brassicas were covered with enviromesh, but the pesky slugs decided to eat them.
Onions, tomatoes & potatoes were mostly OK and I also hot a decent crop of strawberries, but sweetcorn was a waste of growing space with only 9 small cobs from 15 plants!
Onwards and upwards for next year!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2024, 17:56 »
A few days ago, I noticed the dreaded blight on one outside tom plant, but it hadn't affected the two or three plants on either side. I picked the ones with the brown patch and chucked them well away from the garden...

Two days later, there were five or six more going bad, so I harvested the lot, green and ripening red, and brought them inside into a drawer we always use for this very reason...

A dozen more have turned overnight, so it's been a day for making about three litres of green ginger and chilli sriracca to at least get something out of the green ones!

The reds will get the same treatment a.s.a.p.!

First time we've had blight for years, but you still immediately recognise it!

KalisDad

• Experienced Member
  • Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2024, 18:08 »
Blight is a common occurance here in the west of scotland, normally we have wet summers with dry springs and autumn, its been wet all year so far, a volunteer tom from last years compost is up with fruits and no blight, even though the greenhouse has been caught, I may eat a tom yet!
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2024, 21:20 »
Surely the potatoes would be full size by now anyway? My second earlies were blighted on 24th July and had already reached a decent size. I cut the tops off and left them a couple of weeks before digging. They seem fine in the shed. I cut the still green tops off the Sarpo Mira main crop last week and harvested them yesterday, they were huge.

Sands

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2024, 10:41 »
mumofstig....what variety were you growing?
 Last year when the allotments here  suffered with potato blight, my neighbours Cara didn`t get a sniff of it.

Odders

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2024, 20:18 »
Blight is a common occurance here in the west of scotland, normally we have wet summers with dry springs and autumn, its been wet all year so far, a volunteer tom from last years compost is up with fruits and no blight, even though the greenhouse has been caught, I may eat a tom yet!
Same here in Cumbria, which is why I don't often bother with maincrop spuds.
Still mostly Sungold tomatoes, with a few Moneymaker & Red Zebra. No idea how long they'll continue, as I'm clipping off blighted leaves & pulled one plant in the polytunnel yesterday due to blight getting into the stem.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
another blight maybe

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 16:30
by gillie
xx
blight

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:21
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
is it blight?

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 17:35
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 48 queries.