The old plot

• 25 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
The old plot
« on: September 15, 2024, 21:25 »
Went past my old plot walking the dog, looking very neglected now! My successor has been kicked off the plot for not maintaining it to a decent standard. All that work I put in undone!
IMG_20240609_100122.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: The old plot
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2024, 22:55 »
Some people >:(

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2024, 23:34 »
At least my Cheapo homemade polytunnel still stands!  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2024, 07:20 »
I’d be pretty pleased to be offered a plot with a polytunnel, so not all your hard work was in vain  :D 

Fingers crossed the new taker gets stuck in  :)

Richard Yates

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2024, 12:42 »
Went past my old plot walking the dog, looking very neglected now! My successor has been kicked off the plot for not maintaining it to a decent standard. All that work I put in undone!
Grr! Some people!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2024, 20:05 »
Sadly a situation too often encountered.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2024, 20:52 »
Heartbreaking

See it all to often,  come on full of beans and a few weeks later less n less then kicked off! Proppet annoying
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2024, 20:57 »
In fairness, it's a very difficult plot to cultivate; very heavy clay soil, high tree line shading in the afternoon...
I'm about the only person to make a good fist of it.

megaross

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2024, 21:46 »
Sad to see, I'm already seeing people who came on at the same time as me neglecting their plots undoing their hard work.

My first one years back I gave up before it got too bad, when I couldn't maintain it any more. I struggled to keep it at 50% maintained with the time I had in those days anyway let alone not having a car back then.

Great lesson for my current plots! Ive designed my plot to be very easy to maintain because I just like building things and growing vegetables.

And ultimately I know life gets in the way sometimes and almost inevitably. When that happens I'll be happy to have made hay whilst the sun shone. There's a reason I was digging beds in the 30 degree heat.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2024, 21:26 »
It’s striking how fast they go to wrack and ruin once not cultivated. Our local long timer left last autumn , he had two meticulous plots, one of them got taken over by someone who didn’t bother after a couple of visits. It’s now a jungle and infested with foxes who have dug dens all over, it’s actually dangerous to walk on it now

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2024, 09:34 »
Definitely annoying.
The plot next to mine was in perfect condition when left last season by a chap who had become ill. This year it’s not been cultivated at all and has knee high weeds. This despite being told there is a waiting list for plots. I have been told my plot is untidy but I don’t think people realise that my asparagus has to be allowed to grow after it has cropped. It looks untidy but is gathering strength for next spring.
Keep digging

Richard Yates

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2024, 11:20 »
Our local long timer left last autumn , he had two meticulous plots, one of them got taken over by someone who didn’t bother after a couple of visits. It’s now a jungle and infested with foxes who have dug dens all over, it’s actually dangerous to walk on it now
Should be given the Order of the Boot. I am not sure why management committees are so slow to act.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2024, 21:27 »
Our old plot has never been worked but they keep paying the rent and the council don't seem to be kicking anyone off. I left them fruit bushes, raspberries, rhubarb and put manure on a couple of the raised beds but was a waste of our time.

whaleroad

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2024, 13:40 »
It's sad but I suppose we don't know their reasons.

I took on a plot that was by all accounts well maintained by someone who was there every day. I wasn't able to maintain his standards as I don't have so much free time, and I'm sure I got judged by some. But I put in a lot of work to undo the neglect between tenancies. This last year I feel like I've gone backwards due to difficulties with my health, work, and bereavements. But it's temporary.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2024, 01:58 »
I will say sometimes life gets in the way of good intentions. An unintended career change, personal illness, ailing or suddenly frail family member, new baby... and on and on. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you have to drop everything that is not essential.

I'm sure some plot holders bite off more than they can chew, or just don't want to cope with the necessay hard work. However, sometimes forces beyond control are a factor.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 14:12 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
YAY got my plot!

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 11:44
by kezlou
xx
NEW PLOT!!

Started by dustyatwy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 19:38
by Totty

Page created in 0.708 seconds with 53 queries.