Uchiki Kuri squash

• 4 Replies

Bryan and carol

Uchiki Kuri squash
« on: September 13, 2024, 20:42 »
I've grown this squash for the last few years and find it reliable in our relatively cool NE England climate. This year I started three plants growing vertically up a frame and three horizontally on the ground. Those growing horizontally have done far better, although they do occupy a lot of space. Just wondering how other folk are growing these squash ?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 07:43 by Bryan and carol »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Uchiki Kuri squash
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2024, 21:25 »
I've grown my U K up a trellis this year, for the first time, and they've not done very well at all. Only 1 or 2 fruits per plant.
I used to get 3 or more when I grew them on the flat on my allotment. Mind you the weather hasn't been good for them this year, so I suppose it could just be that  :unsure:
Back to in the ground again, next year, though  ::)

Richard Yates

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 21:40 »
I have a new allotment (earlier this year), and another half (early last year).

On the half, I planted two UKs. They have turned into monsters, having gone sideways E-W as well as due south over the full width of the allotment (6m/20'), and are climbing up my chicken wire fence to the north. I can see 7 fruit, there may be more where they've bulldozed into my dwarg Bore Lotty beans.

On the full allotment, which was a slightly unexpected although fantastic surprise, I have 16 or 20 plants, can't remember which, can't see them to count, the whole area is a sea of waving leaves with orange fruit occasionally visible.

The only "climbing" piece of monster plant is on the 1/2 plot, where a runner has gone along the straining wire of the fence, producing one nice-looking fruit, and a small one which may develop further depending on the weather. The "nice one" has a changing-colour stem, so I'd say ir's getting ready.

The plants were put in 1) two slight mounds with Growmore; 2) 16 or so slight mounds with two cubic spade's worth of horse muck mixed up under. Those ones seem to be trying hard to go home (to Japan?) and the way they're growing it would not surprise me if they get there!

I'll ad a photo, but need to make a phone call now.
P1090539-ed.JPG
P1090541-ed.JPG
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 14:43 by Richard Yates »

Bryan and carol

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2024, 20:06 »
I've grown my U K up a trellis this year, for the first time, and they've not done very well at all. Only 1 or 2 fruits per plant.
I used to get 3 or more when I grew them on the flat on my allotment. Mind you the weather hasn't been good for them this year, so I suppose it could just be that  :unsure:
Back to in the ground again, next year, though  ::)

I've looked back at photos from previous years when the vertically grown plants did much better, I suspect that you may be correct in that the very wet and cool early summer this year didn't help. I was able to devote a large section of the plot to squash as I had to lift the spuds early due to blight, every cloud .....

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2024, 16:15 »
although we had decent results from most of our veg crops I think Uchiki Kure squash was a failure it grew well from seed in the greenhouse but when transplanted it hardly moved don't know if it was due to the poor ground or growing conditions because the marrows did quite well as did the courgette but not as prolific as last season and crown prince was also smaller and less of them this season on the same plot didn't bother to grow pumpkins this season 

xx
uchiki kiri - low yield?

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 09:46
by savbo
xx
When can i harvest Uchiki Kuris

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 09:53
by shokkyy
clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Squash

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 12:44
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 38 queries.