Crop Rotation

• 1 Replies

Beansprout

Crop Rotation
« on: Today at 12:46 »
Hi Everyone,

I've finally got my own full size allotment so would like to have a go at following a 4 year crop rotation plan. My query is if I sow for example legumes in Year 1, does this mean that I could do x2 sowings in the same year?

(ie. peas planted out in March would finish harvesting June/July - could I follow these up with a crop of French Beans in the same year and then follow with Brassicas in Year 2)?

I'm hoping you'll say 'yes'!

Thanks,
Beansprout

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Crop Rotation
« Reply #1 on: Today at 13:13 »
There are 2 sides to crop rotation, so it depends.

If you rotate crops you avoid the build up of pests, but peas followed by green beans shouldn’t present too much of a problem.

The other is to maximise the use of compost or manure you add to the soil, so the typical rotation pattern says plant heavy feeders straight after manuring and work through your rotation so you plant less heavy feeders or crops that don’t want lumps of manure in the soil like carrots last. Carrots will grow in freshly manured soil but fork if they hit a lump.

If you reread what you have seen on rotation with those 2 things in mind and with an idea of what you plan to do e.g are you going to dig stuff in on just a quarter of the plot, mulch, use raised beds or whatever, you’ll get an idea of what works for you  :)

xx
Crop rotation

Started by Jaynel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2015, 15:46
by sunshineband
xx
Crop rotation

Started by moppet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 16:39
by Greengirl
xx
crop rotation

Started by mig55 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 21:04
by mig55
xx
Help with crop rotation please

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 08:46
by DD.

Page created in 1.144 seconds with 37 queries.