Bellisimo Passata

• 9 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Bellisimo Passata
« on: August 25, 2024, 13:22 »
It's that time of the year again  ;)
Had two crops of me plum toms Amish Paste +a few salad to make the passata for winter.
Thus far 58 portions (2.5 ladles portion) in the freezer and still loads to come.
Did a batch last night / this morning.
20240824_173351.jpg
20240825_101044.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bellisimo Passata
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2024, 16:32 »
Lovely  :D

How do you deskin the tomatoes?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2024, 18:07 »
So basically...
Slow roast the toms for a couple of hours and leave over night in the stock pot.
Then in the morning I use a food blender to whizz then passed through a sieve.

I am toying with buying a Rigamonti 'Velox' or the master which is bigger as I know someone with one and they say it is so easy to do it.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2024, 20:22 »
Snap, that’s what I’m in the midst of doing, except they’re in the fridge, all 12lbs of them. They’re waiting to be blitzed & sieved or I might try out the passata maker machine I picked up in a charity shop a couple of months ago for £2.50 :D. The only difference is I will can mine to add to the pantry shelves
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 20:23 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

madcat

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2024, 22:10 »
So basically...
Slow roast the toms for a couple of hours and leave over night in the stock pot.
Then in the morning I use a food blender to whizz then passed through a sieve.

I am toying with buying a Rigamonti 'Velox' or the master which is bigger as I know someone with one and they say it is so easy to do it.

It is!  It completely changed my passata game - putting it through the sieve was getting very old with the quantities.  I've got the Velox and I'm a real fan.  Took a while to work out a way to do it and the various dishes to collect the passata and the waste. I poach the toms lightly in a big frying pan of boiling water so the skins come off easily, then just squish them in the machine.  Put the waste back through a second time and it is absolutely great.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2024, 07:04 »
Like the idea of a special machine!

I've just been zapping the toms in a standard blender, and then reducing them down to puree status in a big pan, and it seems to work, skins, white bits and all! 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 07:05 by Growster... »

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2024, 16:57 »
Thanks Madcat, pretty much sold to me now.

How much do you do at a time? As you can see from my photo that is an average picking, I guess the Velox would cope with that, am I correct?
Cheers

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 16:02 »
Just made another 8 pints of passata, bit different this time as I bit the bullet and bought the Passata machine from Seeds of Italy.

WOW. How quick and easy was that  :ohmy: Why oh why did I not buy one of these before :unsure:
cant wait for the toms to ripen now. So so so glad I couldn't buy tickets for Oasis  ;) :D money well spent I say.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 18:14 »
It's what I've always recommended since 2011 and it does make a huge difference doesn't it  :D

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=82201.msg918774#msg918774

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 19:54 »
Snap, that’s what I’m in the midst of doing, except they’re in the fridge, all 12lbs of them. They’re waiting to be blitzed & sieved or I might try out the passata maker machine I picked up in a charity shop a couple of months ago for £2.50 :D. The only difference is I will can mine to add to the pantry shelves

Forget that, I found out why the passata maker was at the charity shop….it was rubbish lol, it leaked all over everywhere, should really have had a seal/gasket in it, but no room for one. So I looked at the ones you all mentioned but sat in my basket is the one that fits on my Kenwood chef except I need a bit to put in the ‘hole’ to adapt it to fit as my machine is a few years older but there’s non of tge adapters in stock :wacko:

xx
Passata and oil

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 17:21
by PeterP
xx
Passata

Started by Sparkyrog on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 15:26
by Trillium
question
Passata

Started by Plot2B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 19:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
When to use a tin of tomatoes -v- passata?

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 14:43
by TheSpartacat

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 48 queries.