Beetroot planting

• 5 Replies

Marijke Jones

• Newbie on the veggie growing front
Beetroot planting
« on: August 19, 2024, 16:26 »
Dear gardeners,

The weather has been quite decent for Ireland and everything is doing great so far. As I am still fairly new in vegetable growing I was wondering can I still seed beetroot?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Beetroot planting
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2024, 21:07 »
I think you would be pushing it for beetroot, but it might be worth a go if you can cover them.  I’ve got a big insect mesh tunnel just emptied of onions and was considering turnips next.  It is getting a bit late for them as well, but I have some cheap seeds I can use.  If it stays mild, they grow fast and I am usually still picking them come the end of the year.

On my plot beetroot really do get munched going into autumn and I end up with almost nothing left to eat, whereas turnips usually get left alone.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 13:12 »
I think you would be pushing it for beetroot, but it might be worth a go if you can cover them.  I’ve got a big insect mesh tunnel just emptied of onions and was considering turnips next.  It is getting a bit late for them as well, but I have some cheap seeds I can use.  If it stays mild, they grow fast and I am usually still picking them come the end of the year.

On my plot beetroot really do get munched going into autumn and I end up with almost nothing left to eat, whereas turnips usually get left alone.

Do you know what’s doing the munching? I’ve got a good crop sitting in the ground at the moment which would be a shame to lose. If it’s mice I can put down some bait boxes. I think it was them that had a crack at my sweetcorn last week before I put socks over the rest of the cobs.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2024, 13:47 »
I always find umpteen woodlice in the holes in them, but whether it is all down to them or slugs as well, I don’t know.

Not rodents though.

Marijke Jones

• Newbie on the veggie growing front
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2024, 10:22 »
I discovered that hedge sparrows kept nibbling the beetroot leaves. I put a net over it to protect them.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 10:12 »
I have found it a tough year for beetroot
My early ones didn’t progress in the cold wet weather and I’m hoping my recent planting of seedlings will do better. I think this whole season has been blighted by the weather which has created perfect conditions for slugs and snails.
Keep digging

xx
planting beetroot and cabbage

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 10:43
by new_2_veg
xx
Please advice on planting on beetroot

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 25, 2018, 20:43
by missmoneypenny
xx
Planting beetroot plug plants

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 06:27
by Donnay
xx
red onions - planting beetroot in between rows?

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 17:01
by kingston boy

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 43 queries.