Winter salad?

• 4 Replies

Nobbie

Winter salad?
« on: August 15, 2024, 12:27 »
I always seem to leave it too late to sow anything for winter salad. What sort of stuff is worth growing and when do you sow it. I have a greenhouse to give it some shelter.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Winter salad?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 13:01 »
I usually leave it until September then sow a winter salad mix. Sowing early doesn’t have any benefits as it is too warm and they bolt.

The ones I favour are a mixture of the milder kinds of mustard greens. They grow fast and are hardy so can last as cut and come again salad leaves until the spring.

It is worth sowing a big pot of chervil as well. It is a refreshing herb that can perk up a supermarket lettuce or salad bag.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 13:22 »
Start spinach and lettuce seedlings to plant out and grow over the winter. You can grow these in your greenhouse, or outdoors.  Two years ago, we had winter cold snaps as low as -14°C, lettuce and spinach survived that with no problems, I just covered the rows with poly tarp during the worst of it. They seem to tolerate -4 or -5 °C with no protection (my experience).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2024, 13:42 »
This is from an old 2015 thread, dated 14th July, but worth reposting, I think.

Sow Now Advise from Franchi Seeds of Italy

I just received an email
"Cavolo nero kale, cauliflowers, cabbage, pac choy, mizuna, red cabbage, Brussels sprouts, chard, fennel of Parma and Montebianco, lettuce, chicory, radicchio, radish, angelica, watercress, fenugreek, agretti, Parisier carrots, onion, Hamburg parsley, turnip, broccoli raab, spigarielli Neapolitan broccoletti, salsify, tetragonia and baby spinach Emilia, endive, escarole, basil, parsley, rocket, borage, cat grass, lavender, lemon balm, origano, rosemary, sage, marjoram, thyme and many flowers." 

That's quite a list for anybody with space  :D and a reminder to me to check my Autumn sowing seeds before I forget  ::)

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 16:49 »
I sow lettuce and endives right at the end of August and mustards, pak choi etc first week of September. That's in modules and they'll go into the groundnin the greenhouse when i remove the tomatoes at the end of september or start of october

xx
Winter veg / salad

Started by thecakebaker on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 18:10
by mumofstig
xx
Winter Salad

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 21:50
by Growster...
xx
winter salad crops

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2014, 12:29
by compostqueen
xx
winter salad and herbs

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 11:45
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 43 queries.