Old hands, new plots

• 3 Replies

megaross

Old hands, new plots
« on: August 15, 2024, 09:44 »
So the storys like this, I had a plot in my 20's, got it about reasonably cultivated but as you can imagine single lad in your early 20's you're more into chasing skirt and riding motorbikes when it's warm enough to dig, so I got shot when I realised I didn't have enough time to commit to it.

Roll on about 10 years not much has changed except the luxury of setting my own hours at work. I took on a plot of flood rutted grass on clay a couple of months back and all by hand tools and pallets, free buildings and materials (save a bit of compost, sand, seeds etc.) nearly got it to a nice easy to work state.

State from 14th June

Last pic from about a week ago

Just taken on another quarter after a chance email about going on the waiting list for another half plot so on with the build. My big concern is whether we're going to hit the wet season before I can get the new plot dug and cultivated (the soil is heavy clay).

Dead pleased with the new plot though, gives me more scope, possibility of beekeeping one day maybe. Possibly a wildlife pond for slug control. Nice to have the space to execute ideas and experiment a bit.

Any advice for taking on an uncultivated plot this late on? So many people say cover it and leave it if you get to that but I reckon there's got to be jobs I can be doing to make progress.

Candide

• Experienced Member
Re: Old hands, new plots
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 10:25 »
There's the green manure option.  Ive used buckwheat and phacelia in the past.  Then grew some daikon radish and noticed how they got their toes down into the clay and broke it up,  So sowed some fodder radish onto a patch hoping to get a double benefit.  Not expecting miracles, mind.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 16:57 »
We took on our plot 15 years ago in September. With the weather so topsy turvy I would say just get on and cultivate it and sow green manure as suggested as you go if you like. If you cover it you'll still have the hard digging come spring when there is so much else to be getting on with.

Our plot is heavy clay but not prone to flooding. When we took it on we had a very dry autumn and found it harder to dig and weed as the plot got dryer so the wet weather was a relief when it came.

We sowed Hungarian rye which I wouldn't repeat! Digging in was a pain. But maybe go for some winter tares or phacelia up until the end of September.

Good luck and enjoy!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 18:14 »
Well done!

I would aim to get as much as you can done before the end of the year. In my experience, clay soils become pretty unworkable once the winter really sets in for the early months of the year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Now wash your hands!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 12:30
by BabbyAnn
xx
BEGINNERS (and 'old' hands!)

Started by Oliver on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2006, 10:50
by John
xx
Hands up. Who ate my cabbages?

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 16:42
by Goosegirl
xx
has anybody got 'new potato hands' ...?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 20:04
by snow white

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 41 queries.