Insects... Lack of!

• 12 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Insects... Lack of!
« on: August 05, 2024, 21:21 »
Well when I say insects its more flying wildlife, butterflies, bees, wasps, greenfly, blackfly and over the last two days I have cropped my peas, only two pods had pea moth, never had that before.
There really does seem to be a massive population drop round these parts this year, all sorts that fly.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Insects... Lack of!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 22:17 »
Round here, numbers are more like what they should be now, a bit late in the year but catching up. Loads of bees around my runner beans today, plus I've had to put the fly screen up at the kitchen door...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2024, 22:40 »
We have a lot of lavender growers around here so we have plenty of bees but there is a distinct lack of other flying beasts. We did have a monstrous hornet in the garden today though!

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2024, 12:34 »
I got no pea moth either.  Plum Moth seems to have ruined 75% fruit though, hoping the later gages have faired better.  Hardly any wasps, plenty blackfly on nasturtiums!
Sadly, but unsurprisingly, the smaller birds seem equally scarce.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 14:50 »
A lot of folks on the AG forums have been talking about adverse weather all year long. That could be throwing off insect reproduction and survival in general.

My suspicion is that if weather becomes more typical later this year, or next year, you will see an increased number of insects.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2024, 14:19 »
No pea moth at all here either in Yorkshire.  My peas are normally plagued by them.
Had lots of blackfly on my field beans though, along with ladybirds.
Plenty of bees, we have an excellent crop of honey this year, plus some bumble bees nesting in the middle of my gooseberry.
Not seen many butterflies, aside from the cinnabar moth and many of its caterpillars.

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2024, 19:33 »
My brother has just driven a 400 mile round trip in a white car.
Five dead bugs on the bodywork.
That's not normal  :(

JacsH

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 10:23 »
We had a few bumble bees back in April when the queens emerged but the weather then turned cold and they perished before laying. Apples certainly have suffered as they flowered extremely well but then no pollinators so very small crop on the way. Far fewer of any inverts until a couple of weeks ago when we sort of had summer for a couple of days (none of this hot period those in southern England seem to have got). Now lots of carder bumblers (workers), reasonable Peacock and Red Admirals and lots meadow browns and ringlets although fewer than normal. Flies etc, solitary bees nowhere near as abundant and even the dragonflies and damsels have been scarce. A wasp was seen yesterday. However, 38mm rain yesterday seems to be becoming the norm and early morning temperatures say that autumn is here. Still hoping for Indian summer in September/October.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2024, 20:29 »
Well Aidy, if you are really missing the flying insects, I could send you a box of our annual cicadas (see attached photo, key to my truck for scale). They really are that large, no Photoshop required!  More about the here https://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/annual-cicadas. June through September they emerge from the soil, leave their skins hanging on trees, fences, and walls, and make a loud din in the afternoon and evening (RrreeEE!! RrreeEE!!  RrreeEE!!).  As loud as they are, I would miss the noise if it wasn't there every summer.

We also sometimes get periodical cicadas which are about half that size. They emerge from the soil every 13 or 17 years, depending on the species (picture several hundred thousand of them per acre). Ours are black with red beady eyes and sound like millions of Star Trek phasers all firing at once. Seriously, listen to this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh1mfzdWOuo
20240826_170042.jpg
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 10:09 by Subversive_plot »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2024, 21:25 »
It's beautiful (at a distance!!)  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2024, 15:54 »
I wonder if the lack of pollenators is the reason for my pathetic greenhouse tomato crop? The worst crop in over fifty years

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 06:38 »
I wonder if the lack of pollenators is the reason for my pathetic greenhouse tomato crop? The worst crop in over fifty years

For autumn, winter and spring, check local wildlife resources (nature centers, etc.) and see if they have advice on attracting more bees. A trick that works with some of our local wild mason bees, for example, is to create a nest for them by drilling holes of a certain size into a block of wood. The bees nest in those holes. A different trick might be needed to help your local bees, which are likely different from mine.

With your tomatoes, you can hand pollinate them. Get a cheap electric toothbrush. Touch the back of the vibrating toothbrush head to each flower. This simulated the "buzz pollination" action of bees, which tomato flowers need. With some practice, you can also imitate the same action with your finger. It works, I do this every summer, just to be sure the job gets done.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: Today at 18:02 »

Tomatoes are self-pollinating, Alan.  The answer is probably the weather.

xx
Flying Insects

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post August 23, 2022, 11:12
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 51 queries.