Problem with Defender courgettes

• 4 Replies

Grubbypaws

Problem with Defender courgettes
« on: July 24, 2024, 15:14 »
The plants look fine but none of the male flowers are producing pollen so the female flowers are not getting pollinated. I have never had this before and dont know what is causing it. Is any one finding the same?

Anton

Re: Problem with Defender courgettes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 15:48 »
I've never had the problem up to now but my co-gardener did.  About two weeks ago, one of the females was finally fertilised. Maybe it's the terrible weather we are having.  Perhaps you could take a look at a few videos where they show you how to hand pollinate courgettes. I just typed "pollinate courgettes" and obtained lots of hits.

Anton

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 08:09 »
I don't have any yet either, it's just the dodo weather imo. My beans aren't looking good either and some of the corn is only a foot high. They are all warmth loving plants

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 09:46 »
  Perhaps you could take a look at a few videos where they show you how to hand pollinate courgettes.
Anton

The trouble is that I dont have any pollen from the male flowers to use for hand pollination.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2024, 13:22 »
Something to try:  Figure out when your male flowers typically first open for the day, and hand-pollinate soon after that time. 

In addition to bees, ants and other insects eat the pollen. If you hand-pollinate late in the day, this might explain the lack of pollen in the male flowers. Another trick you can try if your male flowers are suffering from (ahem..) "low pollen count", if there is at least a little pollen on the anther, just snap it off and drop it into the center of rhe female flower.  Insects moving around inside the flower may distribute the little bit of pollen available.

I hope some of the replies here provide an anther to your problem!  :ohmy: :nowink:
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
problem with my courgettes

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 15:48
by goose
xx
Problem courgettes

Started by salmoncolin1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 07:02
by DD.
xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe
xx
courgettes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 15:07
by gypsy

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 41 queries.