Weed control

• 3 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Weed control
« on: July 19, 2024, 09:49 »
Just found a cheap solution for weed control, white vinegar, salt and washing up liquid. Bought 5 litre for 4.99 mixed in salt and dish liquid. Recipe is on line. It works a treat, effect shown within 24 hours. Just make sure there's no rain forecast next day.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Weed control
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 18:07 »
I wouldn't risk it in my garden. Will kill all sorts of beneficial bugs. And too much salt can contaminate soil, I think, if you use it frequently.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 18:20 »
Yeah, not used that often and only around the edges of my allotment, to stop weed migration from the paths in between. Normally hoe or pull weeds from the plot itself. Not practical to hoe or pull out from the edges. Do shouldn't have a great impact. I think the glycosulphate would have more bad effects.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2024, 18:51 »
Yeah, not used that often and only around the edges of my allotment, to stop weed migration from the paths in between. Normally hoe or pull weeds from the plot itself. Not practical to hoe or pull out from the edges. Do shouldn't have a great impact. I think the glycosulphate would have more bad effects.

It's inert on contact with soil, and doesn't affect soil organisms, so on the specific points I mentioned, the vinegar and salt is likely to be more harmful.

But not a good idea to let it get into contact with watercourses, and there are indeed reports of potential harm to humans in sufficient quantity yes.

xx
weed control

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 13:50
by m1ckz
xx
Weed Control

Started by spudkins on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 22:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
weed control

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 16:51
by Jeanieblue
xx
Weed control

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 11:45
by greenthing

Page created in 0.787 seconds with 40 queries.