Advice about blight

• 9 Replies

Anton

Advice about blight
« on: July 18, 2024, 21:37 »
My (supposedly fairly blight-resistant) Fantasio Tomatoes have been hit by what looks like the blight.
None of my Crimson Crush are showing any signs of disease so far (cross fingers).
If you don't mind looking at the pictures, and offering advice please. Should I just cut off the horrible looking parts (barring the brown stems) or should I just leave well alone? Or dispose of them? They are not touching the Crimson Crush so I hope there will be no cross-contamination.

Anton
Toms 3.jpg
Toms2.jpg
Toms 1.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice about blight
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 23:03 »
If they were mine, I'd cover each blighted plant with a plastic bag (to keep spore dispersal to a minimum) while removing them. 
Fingers crossed the Crimson Crush, will stay healthy.
Unfortunately the weather this year, has been ideal for blight  :(

Anton

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 16:18 »
Thanks Mumsofstig. You mean remove the plants completely or just affected parts?

Anton

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 19:19 »
Once you can see any blight, it will kill the plant in a couple of days - it's very rare that removing leaves works.. The longer you leave the top growth there, the more chance there is of infecting the tubers.

If you remove the tops and leave the tubers below ground for a few weeks, before digging, there's a good chance you will get some tubers to eat

Anton

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 22:17 »
Once you can see any blight, it will kill the plant in a couple of days - it's very rare that removing leaves works.. The longer you leave the top growth there, the more chance there is of infecting the tubers.

If you remove the tops and leave the tubers below ground for a few weeks, before digging, there's a good chance you will get some tubers to eat

Sorry Mumostig, but are you talking about potatoes now? If so, I was referring to my tomatoes.

Anton

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 23:37 »
OOPS Sorry!
That'll teach me to pay more attention, won't it  ::)

This bit is still relevant though
Once you can see any blight, it will kill the plant in a couple of days - it's very rare that removing leaves works..

Anton

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2024, 15:46 »
No problem. The  plants are still there. I've  removed all the contaminated leaves. I will let you know what happens.

Anton

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2024, 16:10 »
Normal advice is to ensure good airflow around plants.
Can’t see from photos but if the crimson crush are in pots I would move them away from the blighted tomatoes and ensure they have lots of space around them too.
If they are in a bed just cross your fingers I’m afraid. As Mum says perfect blight conditions I fear! Good luck HH
Keep digging

missmoneypenny

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2024, 22:37 »
Sorry Anton but you need to remove the affected plants completely. They are highly contagious and it will spread to the crimson crush. Also, once you have touched the affected plants do not touch your crimson crush, it will pass blight into them. You need to think of blight as plague for tomatoes , it’s that contagious and rapidly devastating.
Is Bordeaux mix legal in Belgium? It’s been banned here but I know it’s still used in France. If it’s legal I’d do a spray on the not yet affected tomatoes. Good luck!

Anton

« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:34 »
Thanks for the replies. No the copper mix is banned here in Belgium. I have sprayed all the plants with bicarbonate of soda but that is probably magic thinking. The Fantasio plants are still producing flowers and tiny tomatoess. The Crimsons are not in pots but so far are unaffected apart from some dodgy looking leaves at the very bottom, which I see every year.

Anton

xx
blight advice

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 13:44
by Paul Plots
xx
Advice please - tomato blight

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 12:04
by JayG
xx
Maincrop blight advice

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2020, 17:18
by Yorkie
xx
Tomato blight advice

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2020, 09:18
by JayG

Page created in 0.94 seconds with 49 queries.