Tomato help needed

• 6 Replies

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
Tomato help needed
« on: July 16, 2024, 15:35 »
Can anyone advise what is going on with my moneymakers, all the tops a light green and drying at the ends of the leaves, all my other plants are fine, they all get watered and fed the same amounts, I'm using chempak tomato food

tomatoes.jpg
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

snowdrops

Re: Tomato help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 17:00 »
Not sure why they’re so light green but they look like you’ve not got 1 leader and some may be side shoots?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 18:55 »
Thanks Snowdrops, the whole top of the plant is like this, I'll pick off side shoots up to a point and like to let them do their own thing, I'll give them another feed in the morning and see how they go, I'll trim back the browning bits aswell :)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 19:42 »
Mineral deficiency.

Yellow young leaves, with greener mature leaves, is a classic sign of iron deficiency.  Ask others in your area for recommendations on Iron supplements. Here, I would use a product called Milorganite, it provides a broad spectrum of plant nutrients, including iron.

There's more.  Your mature leaves have dark green veins, but yellow between the veins.  That is magnesium deficiency. Short-term, try adding Epsom salts when you water, try a couple teaspoons per 5-gallon builder's bucket of water, apply around each plant; repeat every couple of weeks. Long-term, add pulverised or pelleted dolomitic lime (limestone) to your soil.

The brown leaf edges are more difficult to assess on top of the iron and magnesium issues, but could be calcium deficiency, or might go away when you treat the other deficiencies.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2024, 09:28 »
Mineral deficiency.

Yellow young leaves, with greener mature leaves, is a classic sign of iron deficiency.  Ask others in your area for recommendations on Iron supplements. Here, I would use a product called Milorganite, it provides a broad spectrum of plant nutrients, including iron.

There's more.  Your mature leaves have dark green veins, but yellow between the veins.  That is magnesium deficiency. Short-term, try adding Epsom salts when you water, try a couple teaspoons per 5-gallon builder's bucket of water, apply around each plant; repeat every couple of weeks. Long-term, add pulverised or pelleted dolomitic lime (limestone) to your soil.

The brown leaf edges are more difficult to assess on top of the iron and magnesium issues, but could be calcium deficiency, or might go away when you treat the other deficiencies.

Thank you so much Subversive,  the feed that they get is described as
A high quality, soluble tomato fertiliser suitable for use on all tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, courgettes, aubergines and soft fruit. Tomato plants are greedy feeders, requiring a continuous supply of nourishment. Chempak® Soluble Tomato Food is specially formulated with essential nutrients, including trace elements, in the correct balance, for heavier cropping and top quality fruit. Magnesium aids fruit setting and keeps the foliage healthy; iron and manganese give colour, flavour and finish and calcium helps prevent Blossom End Rot.

(N:P:K - 11:9:30 + 2.5Mgo)

Should I stop feeding this and only try to treat the defiencies at the moment or continue with it and iron, magnesium calcium treatments? I've got a box of chempak calcium at home I can use.
*EDIT* I have some Shropshire seaweed so will feed with that over the next few weeks
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 17:56 by KalisDad »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2024, 22:14 »
Hi KalisDad

You could probably just supplement what you have been providing.

Also a factor in nutrient uptake is soil pH. If your pH is either strongly acid or strongly alkaline, it can affect the plant's ability to take up nutrients, creating a deficiency even if you are providing a nutrient supply. A pH between 6.0 and 7.0 is usually best. It might be worth checking soil pH.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 22:29 by Subversive_plot »

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 17:46 »
Thanks again Subversive, will do, It was a 60lt tomato and salad bag split into 2 30lt pots and both are watered and fed the same, the other plant is doing fine though,I'll supplement with what you have advised  :)

xx
Tomato advice needed

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 20:03
by igorina
xx
rich tomato, poor tomato

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:03
by mumofstig
xx
help needed please

Started by jenjen88 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 22:39
by Yorkie
xx
Some help needed!

Started by Dig2Grow on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 21:31
by clairebeau

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 44 queries.