Where are the cabbage whites (not that I really miss them)?

• 3 Replies

briandaud

This is the first year, in about the last five, when I haven't been plagued by cabbage whites. Previously, I almost gave up on the idea of growing brassicas entirely, but I persisted and bought several protection items like netting and hoops.

This year I managed to net and squash six of the blighters but I spotted the odd one or two having a flit around, which I was also able to eliminate.

The caterpillars on my nasturtiums I was able to squash also. I am now growing cabbage, pak-choi, spis bladene . . along with other brassicas I wouldn't have even bothered with in previous years.

Not saying it's a result of my efforts, but this June and July I have noticed an absence of cbg whites. Trouble is there seems to be an absence of others too, particularly bees. My runner beans are in full blossom, but the flowers are withering and not leaving behind those rudimentary beans; similarly some outdoor tomatoes and courgettes.

I used to weed the garden surrounded by bees - something that bothered neither me nor them. So where are they now?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Where are the cabbage whites (not that I really miss them)?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 18:03 »
I think all those cold, wet weeks we had instead of our usual spring weather, just wasn't good for insects. All I seem to have here, is a plague of flies *gross*
I've had to buy some of those mesh covers for my windows and the back door  :ohmy:

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 22:07 »
There were a few around about 6 weeks ago, I squished a few caterpillars ( I find they camouflage incredibly well). But since then I’ve hardly seen any! I was determined to get a crop this year so it was wire frames ( because foxes love jumping onto nets) and fine mesh. It’s the only way to keep foxes, pigeons and caterpillars off. Finally, victory is mine.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 14:16 »
It's the wind imo, been gusting 50 to 60 some days here for weeks now. Nothing less than a fresh breeze

xx
Cabbage whites

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 17:52
by mumofstig
xx
Cabbage Whites

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 20:59
by yummy
xx
Where are all the cabbage whites?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

72 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 14:25
by heygrow
xx
cabbage whites

Started by waliz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 10:30
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.928 seconds with 42 queries.