Garlic rust advice

• 4 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Garlic rust advice
« on: June 29, 2024, 18:35 »
I’m needing some advice on garlic rust. I have a bed with round 20 plants and it is badly infected by rust. I didn’t do anything with it, I just let the plants grow on.
I’m now not really sure what to do with them…I can’t tell if they are ready for harvest from the leaf colour due to the rust. I did take one bulb up and it was reasonable in size but the cloves were not separated.
Am I better to leave them to grow on or cut my losses and take them up to make space for the next crop?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic rust advice
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 19:09 »
I’ve recently pulled mine up because like yours they were covered in rust and had not split into cloves.  They won’t do much now, so you might as well cut your losses.

Mine has been processed into garlic butter for the freezer.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2024, 19:36 »

I stopped growing garlic simply because of the fact that rust destroys the crop every year. Farmers must have some sort of product that prevents rust that is not available to gardeners. I am going to try growing some autumn planted garlic in my poly tunnel this year to see if I can get a crop as rust is a bit like blight it comes with the rain and it does not rain in a tunnel  :lol:
I will have to prepare the soil with plenty of compost and manure though as garlic needs very good soil to get decent bulbs.

Farrufamto

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 17:35 »
I tried growing garlic several times, using different planting materials, but it still got rust. I read that maybe it needs to be planted on higher ground so the water doesn't stagnate, and to stop watering it towards the end, but my garden isn't a swamp. Rust still appears, so I gave up on the idea.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 12:13 »
Rust and Rot on mine again this year, got about half of the crop in a useable state. Will try one more time next year in my raised bed that has been used for carrots and will add a bit more protection which they will both appreciate.
Shame as its something to plant when not much else to do and low maintenance.

xx
Garlic rust

Started by Elmarto on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2016, 09:34
by Elmarto
xx
Garlic Rust

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 20:36
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
Rust on me garlic?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 18:58
by DavidT
xx
Rust on Garlic.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 20:05
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 37 queries.